- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Do I need an Outdoor Special Event Permit?
A permit is required on private and public property if any of the following apply to your event:
- The total number of people reasonably expected to attend on private property exceeds 500.
- Carnivals, bazaars and similar events open to the general public which offer such activities as amusement rides or devices, games of skill, animal rides or exhibitions, food concessions, or live entertainment with amplified sound.
- The total number of people reasonably expected to attend such a meeting or event exceeds 50 and the event is to take place on city property other than at a park or on the streets or sidewalks.
- Block party, procession, parade, or public assembly occupying, marching or proceeding along any street or highway.
A permit is required when your event is located at a park or public recreation area and any of the following criteria applies to your event:
- 500 or more people expected to attend a planned gathering at a park, park shelter, or recreational facility; or
- event or activity will involve use of amplified sound; or
- use of temporary structures or facilities, such as tents,stages, amusement devices (included but not limited to a, bounce house or dunk tank), or food concessions; or
- the general public is invited to or notified of the event or activity by the media;or
- animals on display for show, for rides, or as a petting zoo; or
- alcohol will be served; or
- the park shelter or recreational facility will be used in a manner other than its usual recreational use.