Many of our events, programs, activities and classes have been either cancelled, postponed or modified due to COVID-19. We ask for your patience as we continue our phased reopening of more programs and offerings. Reopening decisions will be based, first and foremost, on assuring the maximum degree of safety for our patrons and our staff members. We take into account the Governor’s guidelines as well as those for the City, the CDC, and the Chesapeake Health Department along with input from the parks and recreation industry. Among the factors involved are facility/amenity size, current programming and number of participants, cleaning standards, and so forth. Please visit the following web page for information and updates to classes, programs and camps as they become available:
- Listing of classes and programs that are open for registration.
If you visit a park or trail, we ask that you observe the Center for Disease Control's minimum recommended physical distancing of 6' from other persons at all times.
Parks, Trails, Facilities and Park Amenities
- All parks and trails are open.
- Park amenities including playgrounds, dog parks, skate park, outdoor fitness equipment, outdoor restrooms, and playing courts are open.
- Northwest River Park - boat and bicycle rentals, mini golf and disc golf are open.
- Athletic Fields - No more than 2 spectators per player athletic field.
- Campground at Northwest River Park is closed for the winter.
- Community Centers: modified hours of operations/restrictions:
- Until further notice (no weekend hours). All center hours are Monday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Fridays 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Call your center of choice to make an appointment for use of the center.
- Shelters and park section rentals for groups less than 10.
Please visit our Classes and Programs page for a current listing of offerings.
The following is a list of closings, postponements, and cancellations:
Closings to the Public Until Further Notice:
- Senior Centers – Rokeby Center, Portlock Senior Center and The Portlock at South Norfolk are closed to senior programs, but the Rokeby Center and The Portlock at South Norfolk are open for rentals with restrictions.
- On-site City Senior Programs until further notice. Please visit the Classes and Programs page for virtual offerings.
- Paddle for the Border - postponed from May 2, 2021 to fall of 2021 (date to be determined).
Event and Program Cancellations:
- 2020/2021 Youth Winter Basketball (Boys & Girls)
- Dismal Swamp Stomp on April 10
Please continue to follow these guidelines:
- Practice physical distancing at all times in parks and on trails.
- Groups less than 10.
- Wash hands often. Park amenities are not regularly sanitized.
- Wear masks.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home.
Updates and adjustments to re-openings, cancellations, or postponements will be posted on this page and on our Facebook page. If you have any questions about the department's amenities, facilities or services provided at this time, please contact us:
Staff have been providing essential services through videos to keep you connected while offering opportunities for you and your family's well-being. These videos include outdoor programming for youth such as science and nature topics, crafts for youth, instructional classes for youth and adults, yoga, environmental educational tips, local history, parks and programs, and 55 & Better crafts and activities. All videos shown to date can be viewed any time on our Virtual Classes, Activities and Engagement page, Facebook page, and on our YouTube Channel. We invite you to tune in and engage with us.