This web page will indicate changes of availability to the general public at the City of Chesapeake's parks and recreational facilities, to include community centers and specialty facilities. Examples of such changes could be due to major renovations or repairs, city major events or other large-scale activities or programs, large rentals, etc. These changes could affect parking, traffic and/or other amenities. See section below under "Events/Programs/Rentals" for specific listings. In order to receive an event permit, organizers must have submitted a COVID safety plan along with their permit application for the safety of the participants and general public.
City-observed Holidays at times also affect the availability at our centers and specialty facilities. See the listing of city observed holidays.
April 9, 2021
The Dismal Swamp Canal Trail and Boat Ramps will be closed temporarily on Saturday May 1, 2021 from sunrise to 11:30 a.m. for the Conquer the Canal Time Trials Bicycle Race. The park and boat ramps will reopen by 11:30 a.m. on the same day.
March 23, 2021
- Campground at Northwest River Park is expected to open May 1, 2021 after new bathhouses are completed.
March 17, 2021 -
- Changes to availability of parks and trails:
- Milling and repaving of the entire Dismal Swamp Canal Trail began on November 23, 2020. The final phase of the project of trail shoulder restoration and striping is still in process. Expected completion is Spring 2021.
- Changes to availability of park amenities including playgrounds, dog parks, skate park, outdoor fitness equipment, outdoor restrooms, and playing courts:
- Deep Creek Dog Park fencing is being replaced and the dog park will be closed until March 22, 2021.
- Community Centers: modified hours of operations/restrictions:
- Until further notice (no weekend hours). All center hours are Monday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Fridays 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Call your center of choice to make an appointment for use of the center.
- Changes to community center facility availability: The gymnasium at Deep Creek Community Center will be closed for the projected time period of March 22-April 30, 2021 due to renovation of the basketball goals. The other rooms and sections of the facility will remain open during this time.
January 6, 2021 -
Milling and repaving of the entire Dismal Swamp Canal Trail began on November 23, 2020 and work will continue through spring of 2021 weather permitting. During this project, one lane sections will be closed for all recreational usage. A portion of the trail will remain accessible for pedestrian use during the process. Trail users are asked to be extremely cautious near the construction activity areas and around uneven and unmarked pavement. Please observe physical distancing guidelines while utilizing the trail.
- Fish stocking at Northwest River Park (Lake Lesa) took place on January 5, 2021.
- Great Bridge High School tennis courts have been resurfaced and are now open for play.
November 12, 2020 -
- Baum Road boat launch is closed until further notice.
Bells Mill Park
April 13 - 3A Regional Cross Country Championships
Dismal Swamp Canal Trail
March 27 - Tidewater Striders Boston Marathon Qualifier Event – 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (trail remains open to the general public)
April 24 – Tidewater Striders 5 Miler - 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. (trail remains open to the general public)
April 25 – Tidewater Striders Marathon and Half Marathon – 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (trail remains open to the general public)
May 1 – Conquer the Canal Time Trails – 7 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (trail closed to the general public from sunrise to 11:30 a.m. for safety)
You may receive notifications through Chesapeake Alert for major changes in parks and facilities due to renovations, repair or major events by signing up here.
For up-to-the-minute Parks, Recreation and Tourism COVID19-related event cancellations and postponements, visit our department Facebook page. For more related city information, visit www.CityofChesapeake.net/COVID19.
Additional Information: 757-382-6411