- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Virtual Classes, Activities and Engagement
|Phone: 757-382-6411||Email: ContactPRT@cityofchesapeake.net|
|Chesapeake Visitor Center and Parks, Recreation and Tourism Administrative Office|
|Address: 1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23320|
|Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sat. - Sun. Closed|
In addition to some of our regular on-site programs and events, staff have been providing essential services through videos to keep you connected while offering opportunities for you and your family’s well-being. These have included children's videos on crafts, classes, and educational topics covering science and the environment. Other topics include Mindfulness & Yoga, Environmental, Fitness & Sports, Outdoors/Parks, Local History & Tourism, and those geared for the 55 & Better community. Visit our Facebook Page or YouTube Channel, Chesapeake PRT. View one today to learn and/or try something new!
- Celebration! - Staff have been a little down since we've had to scale back our events, programs, and activities, but just thinking about what it will be like when we can offer everything and more again and to fully welcome all of our citizens and visitors back to our facilities is a cause for dancing and celebration! So for Chesapeake, Hampton Roads, and all our patrons and visitors, stay safe, and until we see you all again, hopefully without masks - this one's for you!
- Hey Chesapeake, We Miss You! - We wish time would fly by until we're able to be together again. Until then, we're working hard to make facilities and services even better.
- Martial Arts/Karate - Learn some basic Karate moves during this video.
- Bubble Snake - Need something fun and creative to do? Watch as Jessica shows us how easy and fun it is to make a Bubble Snake!
- Kite Craft - Learn to make a jellyfish kite!
- Youth Craft - Enjoy this quick and easy craft video.
- Bee Craft - Follow along during this fun video to create a bee craft!
- Binocular Craft - Create a pair of binoculars for outdoor exploring.
- Scratch Off Coloring Craft - A fun craft that only requires crayons, paper, and an unsharpened pencil.
- Flower Craft - Just in time for Mother's Day!
- Tiny Tumblers - Tiny Tumblers is part of our Waddler-Toddler programming and is geared toward ages 3-5, but all ages are welcome to participate in this online version!
- Cheer Class - Join along in this Cheer Class with Instructional Programming Teacher, Tanya Benton.
- Gymnastics - Follow along at home with Miss Tanya.
- Pre-Ballet - Instructional Programming teacher, Tanya Benton, leads young viewers through a quick Pre-Ballet class.
- Photosynthesis in Action - What do plants do with energy from the sun? Watch to find out as Meghan leads us through this do-at-home science experiment.
- Backyard Explorers - Discover what critters live in your backyard or local green space, and track their changes over time.
- Plant Growth Experiment - Learn about the Water Cycle and Photosynthesis while growing plants.
- Learn how to make your very own Lava Lamp while learning about mixtures and solutions! You will need food coloring, water, vegetable oil, and an Alka-Selzer tablet for this fun science experiment.
Just for Fun
- Rhythm Sticks Sing-A-Long - Do you have rhythm? Grab 2 sticks, spoons, empty toilet paper rolls or whatever and sing along!
- Spoon Race - A great competition for siblings!
- Puzzle Off - Call up a friend and compete to finish this puzzle of Oak Grove Lake Park.
- 5 Green Speckled Frogs - Sing-along to this fun song about Green Speckled Frogs!
Mindfulness & Yoga
- Make Your Own Sensory Items for Relaxation - Stay calm through homeschooling, Zoom meetings and Google Meets! Melody, with the Therapeutic Recreation division, leads us through some items you can make to help with relaxation and reducing stress.
- Chair Yoga - A gentle Chair Yoga session to stretch and strengthen.
- Mat Yoga - Enjoy this relaxing yoga flow. It's great for all ages.
- Chair Yoga 2 - Join Morgan for a chair yoga session. Practicing chair yoga regularly can improve flexibility and posture and reduce pain and stress.
- Chair Exercises - Staff lead you through this moderate chair exercise workout.
- Starting a Journal - Here are some creative ways to reduce stress through journaling.
- Garden Update - See how Meghan's Garden has grown! It just takes a little sun, love and water.
- Indian River Library Entryway Transformation - Watch as the entryway to the Indian River Library gets transformed with this beautiful gardening project. Thanks Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council volunteers!
- Keep Chesapeake Beautiful! - There are a lot of ways to keep Chesapeake Beautiful! Megan with Special Programs provides easy tips for litter cleanups.
- Composting at Home - This video and blog post will help you do what's not only good for your garden but also the environment!
- Environmental Activities - This video shares three great ways to help the environment while having fun.
- Recycle Right! Which items are, and are not, recyclable in Chesapeake? Watch to find out.
- How to Start a Garden (video and accompanying blog article) - A guide to growing your own food.
- Plogging - Help your community while getting fit with this activity!
- Create Your Own Terrarium - Learn how to make your own terrarium with items you may have around the house.
- Gardening - Looking for something to do with your mother on Mother's Day? Watch this video and get inspired for gardening!
Fitness & Sports
- Agility Drills - a few agility drills to help keep your body ready for the next sports season.
- Agility Ladders - Keep training for the next athletic season with this second Agility Ladder video.
- Pickleball - We're looking forward to opening back up and seeing our patrons return to our Community Centers! In the meantime, watch this great video to learn the rules of Pickleball, a popular sport for all ages, and get ready to take on the competition.
- Self-Defense - Practice these self-defense moves with another member of your household.
- Animal Olympics - Kids, get active with our outdoor programmer and see if you can jump, crawl and run like an animal.
- Fitness Challenge - Get in shape or stay that way with these surefire exercises. Squats, push-ups, planks, repeat! Post your Fitness Challenge pics in the comments below for inspiration!
- Chesapeake Wildlife Mini Series | Bears - Yes! There are bears in Chesapeake. How should you act if you stumble upon one? Our outdoor programmer fills us in during this video.
- Chesapeake Wildlife Mini Series | Snakes - How should you act if you stumble upon a snake on our trails? Our parks manager tells us what to do and more about snakes in Chesapeake in this informative video.
- Chesapeake Arboretum Native Tree Tour - Join us for some interesting tree facts and even a tree song!
- Great Outdoors Month Exploration #1 - Battlefield Park - Celebrate Great Outdoors Month by joining us at Historic Battlefield Park! Stay tuned as we explore more parks this month. Where will you be spending your time?
- Flowering Beauty - Join Chesapeake Arboretum Board Member Phil Johnson, as he takes you on a virtual tour of the Chesapeake Arboretum.
- Fishing in Chesapeake - Our City has 22 miles of fresh and salt waterways for you to cast a line, giving you the opportunity for your story about the one that got-away.
- Chesapeake Parks - Sit back, take a deep breath, relax and unwind as we take you through some of Chesapeake's parks.
- Chesapeake City Park Tour - Have you made it out to Chesapeake City Park? While many of the facilities in the park are currently closed, we’re looking forward to the day that we can reopen them and hope you are too! Share a photo in the comments below of a favorite moment at Chesapeake City Park!
- Native Flowers of Northwest River Park - April showers bring May flowers, and they're blooming at Northwest River Park! Learn the names along with some interesting facts. Download the Guide to the Native Flowers at Northwest River Park and v
55 & Better
- Mint Oreo Ice Cream - Cool down with some mint oreo ice cream you can make in a snap!
- Berry Smoothie - Tamakia shows us how easy it is to make a delicious smoothie. Use those seasonal berries and make yourself a healthy treat!
- Fabulous 50's Trivia - Were you around in the 50's? Even if you weren't, you might know the answers to these fun trivia questions!
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies - Learn how to make these delicious chocolate chip cookies with just 4 ingredients!
- Remember when? - How many items can you remember? Count them as Tamakia takes you on a stroll down Memory Lane!
- Brain Teaser - Put on your thinking hat and see if you can come up with answers for these brain teasers!
- Popsicle Stick Flower Pot Craft - a craft geared towards the 55 & Better audience but great for all ages. Mother's Day is coming up (hint, hint)!
- Easter Craft - Get into the Easter spirit using materials from the outdoors and some candy. Good for older children and adults, but children might need adult help and/or supervision.
- Chair Yoga - Follow along during this gentle Chair Yoga flow with 55 & Better Yoga teacher Natasha Ihnatenko.
- Wreath Craft - Follow along to make a pretty wreath.
Local History & Tourism
- Cornland Park - Where are Cornland Park, Bear Quarter and Cornland School? Watch to learn more about this park and the local history of the surrounding area.
- Lakeside Park - Lakeside Park is a beautiful place to visit on Memorial Day or any day! Honor and reflect at the South Norfolk Ruritans Lakeside Veterans' Walk memorial commemorating those from South Norfolk and Norfolk County who served in the armed forces.
- History Walk at Battlefield - Explore the history trail at Battlefield Park next to the Great Bridge bridge.
- Dining at a Distance - Learn how to support our local restaurants.
- Great Bridge Lock Park - Explore Great Bridge Lock Park, the locks, and the Intracoastal Waterway during this video.
- History of the Chesapeake Arboretum - Learn about the history of the Chesapeake Arboretum's property, dating back to the 1600's.
- Dining at a Distance 2 - Learn how you can help support local Chesapeake Restaurants.
- Civil War Trails in Chesapeake - Have you noticed the Civil War Trail signs in Chesapeake? Toby tells us more in this segment on local history.
- Chesa(sneak)peake March 30-April 5
- Chesa(sneak)peake March 23-29
- Chesa(sneak)peake March 18-24
- Chesa(sneak)peake March 9-15
To view earlier Chesa(sneak)peaks, visit our YouTube Channel.
For up-to-date Parks, Recreation and Tourism information on the status of instructional programs, athletic programs, events, facilities and parks, visit our web page, find us on Facebook, or give us a call at 757-382-6411.