- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- Property Information
Classes & Programs
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism Offers
Outdoor Camps and Outdoor Programs!
Online Registration - Preferred Method
- Visit our online registration site for more information and to register.
- Use the search feature in the top gray menu bar by clicking on the magnifying glass icon.
- Look for specific activities and classes by typing in a key word (example: "art").
- Or, use the links to the specific class listings on this page.
- Visit your nearest Chesapeake Community Center to register and complete your payment.
- Or, visit the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Administrative Office/Visitor Center anytime during operating hours to register for any classes and outdoor camps/programs.
Drop-in Participation - Not Permitted at This Time
Pre-registration is required for all instructional classes and camps. The number of class participants per program are limited.
Adult Classes/Clinics (18+)
Teen/Adult Classes/Clinics (13+)
- Art and Creative Skills (ages 6-13)
- Art and Creative Skills for Homeschoolers (ages 6-13)
- Ballet & Tap (ages 6-12)
- Boxing 101 (ages 6-12)
- Creative Writing Skills (ages 9-14)
- Intro to Tap Dance (ages 4-6)
- Jazz & Hip Hop (ages 6-12)
- Martial Arts - Karate 101 (ages 6-14)
- Martial Arts - Karate 102 (ages 6-14)
- Paint and Sipz (ages 8-13)
- Sewing 101 for Homeschoolers (ages 6-13)
- Tennis 101 (ages 6-10)
- Tennis 101 for Homeschoolers (ages 6-16)
- Tennis 102 (ages 8-14)
- Tennis 102 for Homeschoolers (ages 8-16)
- Theater 101 (ages 8-14)
- Jazz & Hip-Hop for Preschoolers (ages 3-5)
- Little Picassos (ages 3.5-5)
- Mini Michelangelos (ages 2-3)
- Pre-Ballet (ages 3-5)
- Stepping Stones (ages 3.5-5)
- Tike Tunes (ages 2-5)
- Tots in Motion (ages 2-3.5)
- Trail Tots (ages 3-5)
See our Chesapeake Outdoors newsletter for a full listing of what's happening this month!
The following events are FREE! Pre-registration may be required.
- Battle Walk - September 10, December 10
- Colonial Garden Tour - September 21, November 16
- Fireside Chat at Northwest River Park - September 3, October 1, November 5
- Guided Nature Hikes at Different Parks - August 27, September 24, November 12
- Guided Nature Hike/Owl Prowl - October 22 (Northwest River Park), November 19 (Dismal Swamp Canal Trail), December 10 (Northwest River Park)
- SunDays at Elizabeth River Park - September 10, October 8, November 12, December 3
- Skywatch at Northwest River Park - September 17, October 15, November 19, December 17
Nature Academy at the Chesapeake Arboretum
Ages 5-12, $5 per class. March through October on the fourth Thursday of the month. Registration for that month's class opens on the first day of the month.
- Trash Talk - April 28, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Growing Gardens - May 26, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Buzz Like a Bee - June 23, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Animals on Display - July 28, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Keeping Forests - August 25, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Forest Foragers - September 22, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Natures Scariest - October 27, 2022 - 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Join us for "Virtual" Bingo using Zoom Video Conferencing!
If you are interested in participating in this opportunity, please email your contact information to email@example.com and request to be added to our Master Email List.
Fridays at 11 a.m.
Bingo prizes can be picked up at the Rokeby Center, 1709 Rokeby Avenue, every other month.
In-Person Programming and Events
For in-person classes and programs, check out our activities guide.
All new and returning individuals participating in Therapeutic Recreation Programs will need to have an updated assessment completed ASAP. Assessment information packets are available online for you to print and complete prior to attending an assessment with a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (C.T.R.S.). The assessment is to ensure all staff are aware of each individual’s communications style, necessary modifications, and other helpful information that will eliminate barriers to recreation participation. We will also establish measurable goals that each participant will be encouraged to work on while in T.R. programs. To set up an assessment or if you have any questions, please call 757-382-1328.
These social groups are dedicated to increasing participants’ independence while creating opportunities for individuals to make new friends and enjoy fun activities. Visit our online registration site or more information on the following programs:
- TR PARENT/CAREGIVER Information Meeting
- TR-C.R.E.W. (Chesapeake Recreation, Education and Wellness) Club Programs (Ages 18+) - In Person
- TR-Chair Exercise (Ages 18+) - In Person and Virtual Options
- TR-Outdoor Fun (Ages 18+) - NEW! - In Person
- TR-TEEN Picasso's in the Park (Ages 13-22) - NEW! - In Person
- TR-Painting to Music (Ages 18+) - NEW! - Virtual
- TR-Karaoke (Ages 18+) - Virtual