- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Child Care and Early Childhood Development Services
How can I apply for Child Care and Early Childhood Development Services?
Applications are accepted at Chesapeake Social Services Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by applying online at the Common Help website through the Virginia Department of Social Services.
What are the eligibility requirements for Child Care Services?
The requirements are as follows:
- Biological parent or legal caregiver
- Resident of Chesapeake
- Income eligible or approved for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families TANF
- Working, enrolled in school, or currently looking for employment
Are Child Care Services available to those persons who have not ever received TANF?
Yes, Child Care Services may be available to you. Please visit the CommonHelp website. You will be notified by the client communication form when and how to contact your assigned Child Care Specialist to set up an intake appointment. Should funds not be available, you will be notified that your case has been placed on a Waiting List based on your application date, until funds are available. Once funds are available you will be contacted by your assigned Child Care Specialist to schedule an intake appointment.
Virginia ECC (Electronic Child Care) Card must be utilized by each customer receiving child care services.
For further information about Virginia' Child Care Program or to search for a child care in your area, please visit the micro site: childcareva.com.
Please visit Virginia Department of Social Services – Child Care Assistance for more information.