- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Plan and Prepare
Help keep your family safe by developing a family emergency plan so you are prepared for whatever comes your way. Planning for the unexpected begins with the whole family talking about what to do in a serious emergency.
When a disaster strikes, your first thoughts may be: Where is my family? Is everybody OK? How do we get to safety? Disasters can happen suddenly, and knowing where your family is and how to communicate with them is important. That's why you need to make a plan and be prepared ahead of time. Sit down with your whole family and think through different emergency or disaster situations:
• What would we do in case of a fire, a hurricane, a flood, or a tornado?
• Where would we meet if we got separated?
• Who should be our family's emergency contacts?
• Where should we go if we have to evacuate?
• What if we have no home to return to?
• If you have children, think about their level of understanding as well
Be prepared: What should you do? Make an Emergency Plan
- Access and Functional Needs
- Caring for Animals
- Military Family Prep
- Emergency Kits
- Child Education
Evacuations & Planning
Do you know what to do if an evacuation is ordered? Do you know your zone? The Virginia Department of Emergency Management has an information website to help you identify and “know your zone”, as well as understand what to do when evacuations are ordered before a storm or incident. More Info