- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Boot & Seizure Program
The City of Chesapeake has joined other local municipalities in using license plate readers to collect delinquent taxes and fees. Delinquent accounts are not added to the boot file until the taxes and fees are over ten (10) months delinquent. By the time the delinquent accounts are added to the boot file, the Treasurer's Office has sent multiple notices to, and made numerous correspondence attempts with, the taxpayer. The boot and seizure program is a last resort attempt at collections of delinquent taxes and fees.
Currently, booting occurs from early Monday morning through 3 p.m. on Friday. The booting schedule is subject to change. When a vehicle is located, it will be booted. If delinquent taxes are not paid before the close of business on the same day, the vehicle will then be towed. If a vehicle is booted and/or towed, there are fees associated with this process.
- Booting, towing, processing, storage and collection fees are the responsibility of the vehicle's owner.
- The vehicle will not be released until all delinquent taxes, parking tickets, and all fees have been paid in full.
- If a vehicle is booted before 4:55 p.m. on a weekday, the taxpayer has until 4:55 p.m. to contact the Treasurer's Office to discuss the delinquent amounts due and methods of payment. If payment is not received by close of business at 4:55 p.m., the vehicle will be towed that evening.
- If a vehicle is booted after 5 p.m., it is subject to immediate towing. You will need to make contact with the Treasurer's Office on the next business day.
PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE BY:
CASH, CERTIFIED CHECK, CREDIT CARD, DEBIT CARD, OR MONEY ORDER
If your current financial situation requires a payment arrangement, please contact the City of Chesapeake Treasurer's Office at either email@example.com or 757-382-6281. Arrangements must be made prior to being booted or towed. To avoid being subject to this program, taxes must be paid on time and delinquent taxes need to be paid immediately or have a payment arrangement in place.