- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Chesapeake Recycles Day
WE'RE BACK! JOIN US APRIL 17, 2021 IN WESTERN BRANCH!
After COVID-19 forced the cancellation of all Chesapeake Recycles Day events in 2020, the event returns this year, with our first event scheduled for Saturday, April 17, 2021 from 9 a.m. - noon at Chesapeake Square Mall, located at 4200 Portsmouth Blvd. in Western Branch.
Please note: in order to best adhere to COVID-19 safety protocols, the event will be drive-thru only. Residents are asked to remain in their vehicles at all times, and to place drop-off items in their vehicles in such a way that volunteers and staff are able to safely remove them. All participants, including volunteers and staff, are required to wear a mask or face covering.
All vehicles must enter the line from the Portsmouth Boulevard side of Mall Ring Road. Vehicles entering from the Taylor Road side of the mall must drive down Mall Ring Road and turn around safely to enter the line. No traffic will be permitted to turn left from Mall Ring Road to enter the event area.
April 17, 2021
Chesapeake Square Mall
4200 Portsmouth Blvd (near Target)
Chesapeake, VA 23321
9 a.m. - noon
What Can I Bring?
Goodwill, SPSA, Shred-It and TFC Recycling are partnering with us to collect a wide variety of items at each of our events. In general, accepted items will include electronics, clothing, household items, household hazardous waste, and sensitive documents. Click here to view a list of eligible items and important exclusions for each drop-off station.
What is NOT accepted?
- Plastic Bags (please recycle at a local store)
- Tube TVs (flat screens only)
- Business items (personal only - items brought in a business-labeled vehicle cannot be accepted)
- For shredding, no magazines, books, CDs, disks, or any non-sensitive documents (junk mail, blank envelopes, etc).
Please also note the following disposal limitations:
- Household Hazardous Waste: No more than 5 gallons of liquid or 75 pounds of solid waste
- Shredding: No more than 3 copy paper boxes or 3 paper grocery bags
Shredding NOT Done On-Site
We can accept no more than 3 copy paper boxes or paper grocery bags worth of sensitive documents. Plastic bags and oversized boxes will not be accepted. Please make sure you are only shredding documents with sensitive information. Magazines, envelopes
Goodwill Electronics Recycling Program
Many people have concerns over how their electronics, many of which store personal information, will be handled once they're handed over to Goodwill. Goodwill works through the Dell Reconnect Program for all of their electronics recycling. They wipe/destroy all data storage devices to meet Department of Defense specifications. They are under a third party inspection process as well as camera surveillance when doing so. All remanufactured equipment is built around clean hard drives and only Microsoft Certified Vendor software is installed. None of the electronics you donate to them will end up in a landfill or shipped out of the USA.
*Please note that Goodwill cannot accept any TV other than flat screen TVs. No older CRT/tube TVs will be accepted. Visit www.BestBuy.com/recycle for local options on TV recycling.
We Need Volunteers!
It takes many hands to make these events run smoothly. Are you available to help us out on the day of any of these events? Please let us know! Contact Megan Hale at email@example.com.
Year-Round Recycling & Disposal
Can't make the next Chesapeake Recycles Day? There are year-round options available for you!
- Electronics: Your local Goodwill accepts electronics and other household items whenever their stores are open
- Household Hazardous Waste: Bring your household hazardous waste to SPSA's Greenbrier Transfer Station, 901 Hollowell Ln, on the first Wednesday or third Saturday of the month between 9 a.m. and noon.
- Plastic Bags: Bring plastic bags to your local grocery store where they usually have a bin by the door to collect plastic bags.
Virginia Green Certified Event
Great news! Chesapeake Recycles Day has received Virginia Green certification! Virginia Green encourages green practices in tourism throughout the Commonwealth. To learn more about Virginia Green, visit www.virginiagreen.net.