- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
What signs are Sign Sweepers authorized to remove?
Sign Sweepers can remove any temporary sign located in the right of way (keeping safety in mind). The right of way includes the following locations:
- Temporary signs located within a median on a public street.
- Temporary signs located between a public street and a sidewalk.
- Temporary signs located between a utility pole and public street. (Utility poles are located within the Right of Way)
No signs can be located any closer than 5 feet from the edge of a paved road or 1 foot behind a sidewalk.
City of Chesapeake crews will continue to remove illegal signs when possible and will take care of medians on busy streets. Only collect signs when and where you feel safe doing so!