The next election is Tuesday, November 8. Here's everything you need to know.
Register or update your registration no later than October 17
- The last day to register to vote or to update your registration is October 17. You must update your registration if you've moved or changed your name.
- Register online, in person at the Chesapeake Voter Registrar’s Office (411 Cedar Rd) or at any Chesapeake Public Library Branch, or by mail. Registration applications are also available at any Chesapeake Treasurer’s office or DMV.
What’s on the ballot?
- Chesapeake City Council – There are 5 open seats
- Chesapeake School Board – There are 6 open seats (one of which is a 2-year position)
- Members of the U.S. House of Representatives
- A sample ballot will be available on the Chesapeake Voter Registrar's website
In-Person Early Voting Starts September 23
Early in-person voting is available to any registered Chesapeake voter and does not require an application or reason. Early voting will be available at the Chesapeake Voter Registrar’s Office starting on September 23, with additional satellite locations opening on October 24 at the following locations, dates, and times.
Voter Registrar’s Office (411 Cedar Rd)
September 23 - November 5
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday October 29 & November 5
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Satellite Voting Locations
- Greenbrier Library
- Russell Memorial Library
- Central Library
- Camelot Community Center
- Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Community Center
- Indian River Library
October 24 – November 5
Monday – Thursday, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Absentee Voting by Mail
Apply to vote by mail no later than October 28.
Once you’ve applied to vote by mail, you will receive an absentee ballot in the mail no earlier than September 23. Apply early so that you have time to receive your ballot and return it by the deadline.
Return your completed absentee ballot to the Chesapeake General Registrar’s office (411 Cedar Rd) by 7 p.m. on Election Day, November 8. If returning your completed ballot to the Chesapeake General Registrar by mail, it must be postmarked on or before November 8 and must be received by the Registrar no later than noon on Monday, November 14.
If you request a ballot by mail and then change your mind, you can still vote in person during early voting or on Election Day but you must bring your blank ballot with you. If you didn’t receive it or no longer have the blank ballot, you can still vote using a provisional ballot.
Election Day Voting
Polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, November 8. You must vote at your assigned precinct on Election Day and you must bring with you an accepted form of ID.