- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Chesapeake's Broadband Initiative
What is Broadband?
What does this project entail?
What is NOT part of this project?
Chesapeake Connects will install the citywide infrastructure, it will not provide broadband service to homes or businesses directly. That service will come from private companies. Having the local ring in place will make it more attractive and economical for commercial firms to offer broadband service to homes. Continuing the analogy of a road, you might think of it this way: the City builds the streets, but a private company constructs your home's driveway, connecting your house to the road.
The capabilities of Chesapeake's broadband ring will be made even greater with the construction of a larger regional ring, connecting localities throughout Hampton Roads.
Capital Expenses: The project is estimated to cost $32.58 million to design, construct, deploy the ring, and migrate sites to it.
Operating Expenses: The Chesapeake Broadband Ring will DECREASE the City's contracted network service costs from $1.38 million to $243,454 by Year 5. New operating costs will total $1.52 million in Year 5 to cover staffing, hardware/software maintenance, and data center collocation & edge services.
There will be three main construction phases of this project, each constructing a different section of the overall Chesapeake Ring, plus the preparatory phase which we are in now.
- Now through Mid-2021: Design work, permitting, and construction RFPs (request for proposals).
- Mid 2021 – End of 2022: Phase 1 (Consisting of Construction, Equipment Procurement/Installation/Site Prep/Migration, and Wireless Deployment)
- Mid 2022 – End of 2023: Phase 2 (Consisting of Construction, Equipment Procurement/Installation/Site Prep/Migration, and Wireless Deployment)
- Mid 2023 – End of 2024: Phase 3 (Consisting of Construction, Equipment Procurement/Installation/Site Prep/Migration, and Wireless Deployment)
- End of 2024: Project Completion