- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Important Safety Reminders
All bicyclists should wear properly fitted bicycle helmets every time they ride. A helmet is the single most effective way to prevent head injury resulting from a bicycle crash. Be certain that your helmet meets the uniform safety standard by looking for a label or sticker on the helmet. The helmet will not protect your head if it is not properly fitted. Never ride a bicycle without wearing a helmet, even on short trips.
Bicyclists are considered vehicle operators; they are required to obey the same rules of the road as other vehicle operators, including obeying traffic signs, signals, and lane markings. When cycling in the street, cyclists must ride in the same direction as traffic.
Drivers of motor vehicles need to share the road with bicyclists. Be courteous – allow at least three feet clearance when passing a bicyclist on the road, look for cyclists before opening a car door or pulling out from a parking space, and yield to cyclists at intersections and as directed by signs and signals. Be especially watchful for cyclists when making turns, either left or right.
Bicyclists should increase their visibility to drivers by wearing fluorescent or brightly colored clothing during the day, dawn, and dusk. To be noticed when riding at night, use a front light and a red reflector or flashing rear light, and use retro-reflective tape or markings on equipment or clothing.
Check out the Chesapeake Bicycle/Trails Advisory Committee for more information and to find a bicycle trail near you.
Chesapeake City Codes
See Article X. - Bicycles, Electric Power-Assisted Bicycles, Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices and Motorized Push Scooters under Chapter 74 - Traffic and Vehicles of the Chesapeake, Virginia Code of Ordinances on municode.com for the most up-to-date City codes.
- Sec. 74-341 – Bicyclists and riders of electric power-assisted bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices and motorized push scooters subject to traffic regulations.
- Sec. 74-343 – Use of handlebars; earphones.
- Sec. 74-344 – Riding on right-hand side of road; two or more abreast.
- Sec. 74-345 – Riding on sidewalks.
- Sec. 74-346 – Holding on to moving vehicles and towing persons, vehicles, or conveyances prohibited.
- Sec. 74-347 – Lights and reflectors.
- Sec. 74-348 – Brakes.
- Sec. 74-349 – Bells or other signals.
- Sec. 74-353 – Carrying other persons.
- Sec. 74-354 – Reckless riding.
- Sec. 74-357 – Penalty.
- Sec. 74-359 – Electric personal assistive mobility devices and electric power-assisted bicycles.