- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Certified Police Officers
Join the Chesapeake Police Department!
We're processing NEW applicants!
NOW HIRING. Apply Online!
(VA Experienced Officers)
NOTICE: Applicants must hold a valid Law Enforcement Officer certification with Virginia DCJS or be eligible for re-certification. Basic Jailor and/or any other certifications will not be considered. Applicants must have full-service patrol experience and it's preferred that applicants have been employed with a law enforcement agency for a minimum of 24 months.
Applicants considered for a Certified Police Officer position attend in-service training at the Chesapeake Law Enforcement Training Academy. The required time for this in-service training is considered on a case-by case basis but is at least two (2) weeks. Followed by a modified field training period of at least 30 days.
Applicants not receiving consideration for our Certified Police Officer program, due to a lack of experience or other factors, may be eligible to participate in our Police Officer Trainee application process.
Starting Salaries & Benefits
Those who are selected to be hired as Certified Police Officers, may receive competitive pay comparable to a currently sworn Chesapeake Police Officer with similar years of experience and education.
for Certified Police Officers:
$44,326*+ for possessing a High School Diploma or GED, or
$44,926*+ for possessing an Associate's Degree, or
$45,226*+ for possessing a Bachelor's Degree
(*subject to change)
- Take-Home Car Program
- Special Assignments
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Uniforms and Equipment Provided
- Free Access to Private CPD Fitness Centers
- Paid Specialized Training Opportunities
- Uniforms & Clothing Allowance
- Military Leave
- Peer Support Program
- Free yearly physical by Occupational Health Department
- Merit Increases
- Automatic City Employee Benefits, including:
- Virginia Retirement System Plan,
- Life Insurance,
- Disability Insurance,
- Long Term Care Insurance,
- Paid Time Off
- Optional City Employee Benefits, including:
- Deferred Compensation,
- Health Insurance,
- Dental Insurance,
- Vision Insurance,
- Flexible Spending Accounts,
- Additional Optional Long Term Care Insurance,
- Legal Service Plan,
- Additional Optional Life Insurance
- And More! , including:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP),
- Funeral Leave,
- In-house Training Program,
- Public Service Leave,
- Wellness Program
Internal Specialty Assignments
One of the notable aspects of the Chesapeake Police Department is the diversity of our career paths. From crime scene investigation to community policing, from K-9 to marine law enforcement, from narcotics to forensics, the Chesapeake Police Department has a career path that is sure to fit your skills and interests.
- Auto Theft Unit
- Automated Fingerprint Identification System
- Court Liaison
- Crash Reconstruction Unit
- Crime Prevention Unit
- Crimes Against Persons Unit
- Crimes Against Property Unit
- Criminal Investigations Section
- Crisis Negotiations Team
- Economic Crime Unit
- Ethics and Conduct Unit
- Honor Guard Unit
- Intelligence & Gang Section
- K-9 Patrol Unit
- Marine Patrol Unit
- Motor Carrier Unit
- Motorcycle Unit
- Police Explorer Post
- Polygraph Unit
- Property and Evidence Unit
- Uniform Patrol
- School Resource Officer
- Special Victims Unit
- Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT)
- Standards and Research Unit
- Traffic Enforcement Unit
- Training Academy
- Underwater Search and Recovery Team
- Uniform, Equipment & Fleet Unit
- Vice and Narcotics Section
- Warrant Unit
- Career Development Program
- Senior Police Officer
- Master Police Officer
- Field Training Officer
- And More!
Generally, after a minimum of two to three years as a Chesapeake Police Officer, you may be eligible to apply to various specialty units when vacancies are available.
Here are some of the basic eligibility requirements for Certified Police Officer candidates:
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must submit valid certifications, training records and other requested documents.
- Must be currently certified as a law enforcement officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia or be eligible for re-certification in the Commonwealth of Virginia as a law enforcement officer under Virginia DCJS guidelines.
- Applicants should have full-service patrol experience and it's preferred have been employed with a law enforcement agency for a minimum of 24 months
An extensive background investigation will be conducted. The discovery of any one of the factors below, at any time during the application process, shall automatically disqualify a candidate from continuing in the application process.
READ THESE CAREFULLY – DO NOT APPLY TO THIS POSITION IF YOU MEET ANY OF THESE
Disqualifying factors include, but are not limited to, the following, from the date of application:
- Suspensions or revocations for other than administrative reasons (i.e. failure to pay fine, insurance, monitoring, failure to pay child support) within the past 24 months
- Convictions of driving while intoxicated with, or under the influence of, alcohol or drugs within the past 36 months
- Convictions of reckless driving within the past 36 months.
- Convictions of speeding 20 miles per hour or more within the past 12 months.
- Declaration, determination or adjudication as Habitual Offender until two years after driving privileges have been restored.
- More than two convictions involving any moving violation within the last 12 months.
- Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to any felony.
- Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to a misdemeanor involving acts of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing).
- Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to a misdemeanor sex offense.
- Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to domestic assault.
- Conviction of possession, manufacture, and/or distribution of illegal drugs, excluding possession of marijuana or any cannabis derivative.
- Use of Cocaine, LSD, PCP, or any type of hallucinogenic drug in the last five years, unless the candidate (i) has successfully completed a supervised drug rehabilitation program, or (ii) is participating in a supervised drug rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs. Proof of successful completion of or active participation in a supervised drug rehabilitation program must be furnished to the Police Department.
- Dishonorable discharge, Bad conduct/Misconduct discharge, and Other than Honorable discharges from military service. General and Uncharacterized discharges from military service will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Untruthfulness or the withholding of pertinent information during any phase of the application process (e.g. application, interview, paperwork).
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with the process.
How to Apply
NOTE: BOTH the online application & Personal History Statement are required to apply for this position. Failure to submit both will result in disqualification from the hiring process.
- Go to the City of Chesapeake's Department of Human Resources website and search for and complete the online application for "Police Officer (VA Experienced Officer)".
SUBMIT PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT (PHS): Download, complete and submit within 14 calendar days!
Your PHS must be submitted after applying online within 14 calendar days of submitting your online application.
It is strongly encouraged that you begin filling out this form as soon as possible in preparation as it is lengthy and requires a significant amount of detailed information. Do not leave any information out. Omissions and untruthful responses will result in your disqualification.
You must have pages 18 & 22 of the PHS packet signed and notarized. A notary must witness you sign the form. Do not sign it yourself until you are with the notary (This must be done prior to the delivery of your PHS. This notary service will NOT be available at the Police Department.)
Local Notary Resource Links:
*Note: This is just a list of local notary resources via google.com search -you are not limited to utilizing the ones listed. Your PHS can be notarized out of state.
Select one of two ways to submit your Personal History Statement.
- CERTIFIED MAIL: Your PHS must be completed, notarized & mailed, via certified mail, within 14 calendar days of submitting your online application.
ATTENTION: BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS UNIT
CHESAPEAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT
304 ALBEMARLE DRIVE
CHESAPEAKE, VA 23322
- Hand deliver your PHS directly to the Chesapeake Public Safety Building (Chesapeake Police Headquarters) located at 304 Albemarle Drive; Chesapeake, VA 23322. This option is available 24/7 via secure drop box in lobby.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS UNIT REVIEWS PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT TO CONFIRM ELIGIBILITY
- If your PHS passes the initial review, you will be scheduled to complete the physical ability test (Course Only) your certifications will be and training records etc. will be requested by the background investigations unit.
COMPLETE PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST
- The test will consist of a timed 150-yard course that will measure stamina and cardiovascular fitness in the completion of various job related physical skills. The test simulates chasing a single suspect on foot, and encountering circumstances that could arise during the foot pursuit.
Phases of the Hiring Process:
- Submit online application on: jobs.cityofchesapeake.net
- Applicant submits Personal History Statement (PHS) to Background Investigations Unit by mail or hand delivery to the Chesapeake Law Enforcement Training Academy (CLETA)
- PHS reviewed by Background Investigations Unit to confirm eligibility -certifications and other documents are requested from applicant via email
- Eligible applicants must successfully complete Physical Ability Test (Course Only) at CLETA
- Background Investigation Phase- conducted on applicant, including personal interview with Background Investigator
- Personality Profile Suitability Exam:
- Online Personal History Questionnaire
- Personality Profile Written Exam- at CLETA
- Formal Panel Interview with Police Personnel
- Personal Interview with Police Command Staff
- Applicant photographed & fingerprinted at HQ’s
- Chiefs Selection Meeting
- Conditional Offer Of Employment presented to selected applicants
- Polygraph Exam
- Drug/Alcohol Screening
- Psychological/Mental Health Evaluation
- MMPI -2RF Written Test
- Video Interview with Psychologist
- Fit for Duty Exam/Physical Evaluation
- Payroll Meeting
- Hire Date- New Employee Orientation
For more information:
Are Y0U Professional Enough & Do Y0U Care Enough?
Serve "The City that Cares", Join the Chesapeake Police Department!