- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Special Victims Unit
|Phone: 757-382-6251||Email: CPDCIS@CityofChesapeake.net|
|Address: 304 Albemarle Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
|Desk Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
The Special Victims Unit is an investigative branch within the Chesapeake Police Department. The unit investigates criminal acts of Child Abuse (physical and sexual), Adult Sexual Assault, and Elderly Abuse. The unit works closely with outside agencies in order to obtain successful arrest and the safety and well-being of victims. Many outside agencies that assist the Special Victims Unit include the following: Chesapeake Social Services Bureau, Chesapeake Commonwealth's Attorney's Office, Chesapeake City Attorney's Office, Chesapeake Sheriff's Victim – Witness Program, Children's Hospital of the King's Daughter's Child Abuse Program and YMCA Response Rape Crisis Center.
The unit aims to:
- Detect and stop the sexual abuse of adults and child and prevent its recurrence;
- To arrest and assist in the prosecution of the offenders accused of sexual and physical criminal acts.
- To assist victims and families in locating support services for trauma based treatment;
These aims are accomplished through the investigative process which encompasses the following components:
- Criminal interview process of the victims, suspects, and witnesses and to assist in the prosecution of the responsible offender;
- Assist Chesapeake Social Services, Child and Adult Protective Services with their civil investigative process;
- Working in partnership with the Children's Hospital of the King's Daughter's Child Abuse Program Multi-Disciplinary Team.
- Utilizing the Children's Hospital of the King's Daughter's Child Abuse Program, forensic interview process of victims, to assist in the successful prosecution of offenders.