- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Be Smart & Be Safe
Citizens who buy and sell on classified advertisement websites or social media sites should consider making these transactions in public, at locations that are well-lit and heavily traveled. These locations can be found at a busy shopping center, convenience store or local police department.
Inviting a stranger or a person who is not well known into your home or going to a stranger's home, potentially creates an unsafe situation with possible harmful results. “Be Smart & Be Safe” by conducting these transactions in a public place. It could reduce the chance of becoming a victim of a crime.
Citizens are welcome to utilize any of the five police precincts within the City of Chesapeake to conduct these transactions either in the parking lot or precinct lobby, if available.
First Precinct, Great Bridge: 304 Albemarle Dr., Chesapeake, VA 23322
Available lobby 24 hours a day, including holidays.
- Second Precinct, South Norfolk: 1209 20th St., Chesapeake, VA 23324
Available lobby Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., closed for holidays.
- Third Precinct, Deep Creek: 949 N. George Washington Hwy., Chesapeake, VA 23323
Available lobby Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., closed for holidays.
- Fourth Precinct, Western Branch: 4764 Station House Rd., Chesapeake, VA 23321
No available lobby.
- Fifth Precinct, Greenbrier: 400 Volvo Pkwy., Chesapeake, VA 23320
No available lobby.
Additional safety precautions to consider when conducting these transactions in person include:
- Always meet the buyer/seller in a public place, with plenty of people around.
- Use the “buddy system” and don't go alone.
- Be suspicious of a buyer/seller who changes the agreed upon meeting location.
- Avoid meeting in secluded areas or places that are not well-lit.
- If something doesn't feel right, don’t meet the buyer/seller.
This invitation does not apply to large, cumbersome household items, appliances, landscape equipment, contraband, stolen property or other illegal items.
The City of Chesapeake and the Chesapeake Police Department will not be involved in any transaction. The City of Chesapeake and the Chesapeake Police Department assume no responsibility or liability for any loss, damage, injury, or other consequences from such transaction. No member of the City of Chesapeake or the Chesapeake Police Department will guarantee, ensure, insure, safeguard or otherwise participate in such transactions.