- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
More ways to help!
Volunteer Application: Online Application
Foster Application: Online Application
You love animals. But, you either can't have a pet at this time of your life or you are "at your limit." You want to do something more to help animals. Yes, you make donations, but you want to get INVOLVED.
We have one word for you...VOLUNTEER!!!
How to become a volunteer:
- Fill out the Online Volunteer Application
- Visit Central Records to complete your criminal background check (required for all City Volunteers).
- Attend Volunteer Orientation, held at Chesapeake Animal Services.
CASU has an ongoing need for volunteers at our shelter. Our adoptions have risen steadily over the years. We believe that this is due to our wonderful volunteers. You can be a part of our volunteer family. You can:
- Do you enjoy the sound of soft purrs greeting you? If so, join our CAT TEAM! The wonderful members of our Cat Team assist with daily cat care from cleaning kennels to assisting with visitations and adoptions!
- Love dogs? Great! Join our CANINE CREW! Our Canine Crew assist our Shelter Attendants with daily tasks such as cleaning, aiding with visitations and adoptions, dog walking, grooming/bathing, and providing enrichment! Most importantly, our Canine Crew get to know our dogs and help CAS match them with the perfect home!
- Are you more into the small and furry? Join our POCKET PALS TEAM and help us provide optimal care for the small critters that find themselves at our shelter.
- We are always in need of volunteers for our various COMMUNITY PROGRAMS. CAS attends many adoption events through the year all over the Hampton Roads community.
- Want to help the animals but be more "hands off?" We have the perfect opportunities for you in our RECEPTION AND ADMINISTRATION areas! We see roughly 3,500 people walk through our doors each and every month here at CAS. Our goal is to make each guest feel welcomed and at home here at the shelter and we cannot do that without our dedicated volunteers.
- Become a LONG TERM
FOSTERto socialize and nurture underage puppies and kittens, animals recovering from surgery, or animals that just need a little break. Those interested in only fostering should fill out the online foster application and are not considered "Volunteers" for CASU or the City of Chesapeake.
Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age. Volunteers under 18 must have parent or guardian consent. All volunteers must pass a criminal history check. Training for volunteers is provided by CASU staff and senior volunteers. Join our volunteer family and make a difference in a homeless animal's life. If not you, then who???
Persons interested in attending Volunteer Orientation MUST complete their online application as well as their background prior to attending orientation. Background checks may be completed at the Central Records Unit at Police Headquarters.
How to become a Foster:
- Fill out the Online Foster Application - Please note, if you are interested in both in-house volunteering and fostering, please only fill out the Volunteer Application.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or come in to the shelter to get the necessary waivers and forms to complete.
- Following submission of the waivers and forms our Outreach Coordinator will be in contact with you.
Call 757-382-8080 or email our Outreach Coordinator Krista Loveless at email@example.com for more information.
We do offer opportunities to fulfill court-ordered COMMUNITY SERVICE. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org