- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Use Permit Application for an Excavation/Borrow Pit
What is a Conditional Use Permit For An Excavation/Borrow Pit?
Section 26-241 of the Chesapeake City Code states that no person shall excavate a borrow pit within the City without first having obtained a Conditional Use Permit from City Council. Certain land uses, such as excavations/borrow pits, require intensive review to determine whether they are appropriate in specified situations and whether special conditions would make the land use sufficiently compatible with the immediate area to warrant the granting of a use permit for the proposed use.
Preparation for Online Application Submittal
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Electronic Preliminary Site Plan of the proposed development, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Landscape Plan, ready to upload, if applicable
- Topographical Map
- Hydrology Study
- End Use Plan
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I if required by the Zoning Ordinance,
$1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Special Power of Attorney, Print, Sign, Notarize, Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Assumption of Legal Responsibility
- Title Report or Title Certification Letter
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form Call or Email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
After Online Application Submittal
(the first two steps can be accomplished when picking up the signs)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List (from Real Estate Department) and Envelopes to the Planning Department
Stamped #10 (4 1/8" x 9½") envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
The Planning Department will supply these two Wednesdays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, you will receive a call for pick-up. Sign fees are $39.20 for each sign.
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents to the Planning Department by 5pm on the filing deadline date.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
The average advertising cost is $100 per advertisement, depending on the number of applicants on each agenda and the length of the advertisement, for the Planning Commission and the City Council public hearing meetings. The project will require a minimum of four (4) advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.
Please bring the required items from the list above to the 2nd floor of City Hall.