- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Street Closure Petition
What is a Street Closure Petition?
A street closure petition is required when an owner of property located adjacent to a street or other public right-of-way seeks to close the street or other public right-of-way and convert it to private property.
Application Deadline is the 4th Monday of the month by 5 p.m.Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule
Deliver all Original Notarized Documents to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date.
Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions prior to submitting an application.
Submit the following documents in eBUILD for a complete application:
Use this map website to look up information needed for applications.
All documents must be uploaded by the deadline in order to have a complete application considered for processing.
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Project Name (ex. Smith Tract)
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Electronic Site Plan, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Street Closure Exhibit prepared by a licensed surveyor or engineer.
- Street Closure Petition
- Notarized signatures from all affected property owners, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, ready to upload.
- Title Certification indicating fee simple ownership of Right-of-Way
- Title Report, if required.
- Special Power of Attorney, Print, Sign, Notarize, Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List (from Real Estate Department) to the Planning Department
Once an application is advertised for public hearing:
The Planning Department will supply these two Wednesdays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, you will receive a call for pick-up. Sign fees are $39.20 for each sign.
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department, 2nd floor of City Hall.
Stamped #10 (4 1/8" x 9½") envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
The average advertising cost is $100 per advertisement, depending on the number of applicants on each agenda and the length of the advertisement, for the Planning Commission and the City Council public hearing meetings. The project will require a minimum of four (4) advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by The Virginian Pilot.
- Street Closure Purchase Agreement must be signed following the Planning Commission meeting and prior to City Council or it will result in a continuance.