- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
What is a Special Exception?
A special exception may be granted by the Planning Commission for the relief of specific Zoning Ordinance requirements only under special circumstances. The Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance specifies when a property owner can apply for a special exception. Consideration for a special exception can be processed as part of a required preliminary site plan or subdivision plan review or as a separate request.
Application Deadline 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule
Deliver all Original Notarized Documents to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date.
Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions prior to submitting an application.
Submit the following documents in eBUILD for a complete application:
Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number. Use this map website to look up information needed for applications.
All documents must be uploaded by the deadline in order to have a complete application considered for processing.
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Electronic Preliminary Site Plan, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Zoning Map
- Map of the Property
- Vicinity Map
- Special Power of Attorney, Print, Sign, Notarize, Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form Call or Email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List (from Real Estate Department) to the Planning Department
Once an application is advertised for public hearing:
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department, 2nd floor of City Hall.
Stamped #10 (4 1/8" x 9½") envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s) The Planning Department will supply these two Wednesdays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, you will receive a call for pick-up. Sign fees are $39.20 for each sign.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
The average advertising cost is $100 per advertisement, depending on the number of applicants on each agenda and the length of the advertisement, for the Planning Commission and the City Council public hearing meetings. The project will require a minimum of four (4) advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.