- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Rezoning (Change of Zoning District)
What is a Rezoning?
A rezoning is required when a property owner proposes to use his land for purposes other than those permitted by the current zoning classification. The zoning process protects property owners by requiring that related uses of land are located in close proximity to each other in order to create a well-developed and harmonious community in compliance with the City's Comprehensive Plan.
Application Deadline 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule
Deliver all Original Notarized Documents to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date.
Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions prior to submitting an application.
Submit the following documents in eBUILD for a complete application:
Use this map website to look up information needed for applications.
All documents must be uploaded by the deadline in order to have a complete application considered for processing.
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Special Power of Attorney, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers, and be ready to upload
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form call or email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Title Report, no more than 6 months old, ready for upload
- Proffer Statement (fill-in & print Word document) must be notarized, ready to upload, not required at application submittal but due 2 weeks prior to Planning Commission Public Hearing date. New Residential Rezoning Proffer Legislation
- Residential Rezoning Certificate form with original signatures must be submitted to the Planning Department for an application to be considered complete for processing. More information on the new residential rezoning proffer legislation can be found in Development Advisory #32.
- Acceptable Filing Fee payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List (from Real Estate Department) to the Planning Department
Once an application is advertised for public hearing:
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department, 2nd floor of City Hall.
Stamped #10 (4 1/8" x 9½") envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
The Planning Department will supply these two Wednesdays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, you will receive a call for pick-up. Sign fees are $39.20 for each sign.
- Attend mandatory Applicant Conference on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, the month after the application is filed.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
The average advertising cost is $100 for the Planning Commission Public Hearing and between $200 to $400 for the City Council meeting. The project will require a minimum of four (4) advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.