- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Planned Unit Development (PUD) Creation or Modification
What is a Planned Unit Development?
An application for the creation/modification of a Planned Unit Development is required when a property owner proposes to rezone his or her property to Planned Unit Development or seeks to amend the language or requirements of a Master Development Plan for an existing Planned Unit Development. The establishment of Planned Unit Development (PUD) districts are for specialized purposes where tracts are in a suitable location, area and character for the uses and structures proposed to be planned and developed in a unified manner. Suitability of such tracts for the plans and development proposed for the PUD district shall be determined primarily by reference to the existing and prospective character of surrounding development and the City's Comprehensive Plan. PUDs are intended to promote the economical and efficient use of land, an improved level of amenities, appropriate and harmonious variety in physical development, creative design, and a better environment.
Application Deadline is 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule
Deliver all Original Notarized Documents to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date.
Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions prior to submitting an application.
Submit the following documents in eBUILD for a complete application:
Use this map website to look up information needed for applications.
All documents must be uploaded by the deadline in order to have a complete application considered for processing.
- Schedule a mandatory pre-application meeting with Planning Department
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Master Development Plan, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- PUD Development Criteria in narrative format, ready to upload
- Title Report, no more than 6 months old from the submittal date, ready to upload
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- Special Power of Attorney, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, if applicable, ready to upload
- Statement of Ownership, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, ready to upload. If an LLC/Corporation, an additional document on letterhead should list all members/officers.
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form Call or Email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Acceptable Filing Fee payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
- Deliver Adjacent Property Owner List (from Real Estate Department) to the Planning Department
Once an application is advertised for public hearing:
- Deliver Envelopes to the Planning Department
Stamped #10 (4 1/8" x 9½") envelopes with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
The Planning Department will supply these two Wednesdays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, you will receive a call for pick-up. Sign fees are $39.20 for each sign.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
The average advertising cost is $100 per advertisement, depending on the number of applicants on each agenda and the length of the advertisement, for the Planning Commission and the City Council public hearing meetings. The project will require a minimum of four (4) advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by The Virginian Pilot.