As a result of the escalations in Eastern Europe, there is an increased level of risk from malware and cyber-attacks. The Department of Information Technology reminds everyone to please remain vigilant against cyberthreats while reviewing your email messages or browsing the Internet. Please be extra cautious of Phishing emails when opening email attachments or clicking links contained in email messages.
Here are a few red flags that can help you spot a phishing email:
• Sense of urgency or threatening language.
• Unfamiliar or unusual senders or recipients. (Verify senders name & email address)
• Spelling or grammar errors.
• Request for money or personal information.
• Call to action, such as clicking a link or downloading an attachment.
Remember you can report phishing emails by using the Message Reporter button in your Outlook toolbar. You can also contact the Service Desk at 757-382-8911 or open a service request via the Service Desk portal.
For further information and tips, please periodically check out the IT Mashup Blog.
Thank you for your vigilance in keeping the City’s technology resources safe and secure.