- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Commercial Site Inspection and Acceptance Process
How do I get my commercial site inspected and accepted by the City?
- A Final Site Plan must be approved by Development and Permits Dept. - Development Engineering.
- Review the Utility Activation package letter which was mailed subsequent to plan approval. In particular, large water meter(s) (≥ 2") are provided by the developer, delivered to the Department of Public Utilities (DPU) meter shop to be installed by the City.
To begin construction:
- Complete the Resident Notification Form – The resident notification form shall be completed and mailed/delivered to the adjacent property owners thirty (30) days prior to commencing construction, if required.
- Obtain the Right-of-Way Permit, Land Disturbing Permit, and if applicable, the Stormwater Permit.
Stormwater Permit is required if the site plan was approved for Stormwater Quality (BMP). Prior to issuance of a Land Disturbing Permit, obtain a Construction General Permit, if applicable, from DEQ.
- Contact Development & Permits, Development Construction Division email@example.com or 757-615-9264 no later than forty-eight (48) hours prior to land disturbing activities so a pre-construction meeting and inspection can be scheduled, according to the recommended construction sequence. Any deviation from approved construction plan shall be addressed by a plan revision or a field change request.
- Utility Final/Activation (Utility Activation detailed process)
- Complete the water and sewer improvements within the public right-of-way and public easements in accordance with the approved plans and the Public Facilities Manual (PFM) Volume II & III.
- Request a Utilities substantial inspection upon completion of improvements which will generate a punch-list inspection.
- Submit the Activation Package including the Water & Sewer Construction Record Drawings ('As-builts'). (flowchart).
Note: Water & Sewer CRD's required for:
- Extension of water or sewer main
- ≥ 4" service line (unless water meter on the same side)
- Complete the punch-list items.
- Upon approval of activation package, take water samples per Flushing and Disinfection Policy. If the site is protected by a fire protection system, the Fire Protection Division will perform an additional pressure test.
- Request Utility Activation.
- City accepts water and sewer improvements and sets meter.
Note: For Commercial Sites – there are unique coordination issues for the meter, on-site utilities and utilities in the building – see Utilities Activation for Commercial Sites.
- Street and Drainage Final Acceptance
- Complete all entrance and drainage improvements on the approved plans, including SWMF.
- Request a street and drainage inspection upon completion of improvements which will generate a punch list.
- Submit Site Plan Construction Record Drawings (As-Builts).
Note: Streets and drainage CRD's required for:
- Stormwater Management Facility
- ≥ 300' public storm drainage
- 5 or more public storm structures
- Defect Bond for ROW improvements (i.e. pavement patch).
- Complete the punch list items.
- Request the final inspection.
- City releases Permit performance bond and accepts the entrance and drainage public improvements.
- Prior to Certificate of Occupancy
NOTE: If full vegetation has not been established at the time of final inspection, the Land Disturbing Permit and bond will remain in effect and released once vegetation fully established. If a Construction General Permit was required by DEQ, then a Notice of Termination Form must be submitted to Development & Permits in order to cease SWPPP inspections and avoid an annual maintenance fee.