- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- Property Information
New Commercial Building Construction Permits
City of Chesapeake
Department of Development & Permits
City Hall 2nd Floor
306 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: 757-382-6018 | 757-382-8424 | 757-382-6890
To begin the permit process, you can enter an permit application via our eBUILD system or bring the following documents:
- Approved final site plan from Development & Permits/Development Engineering
- Virginia State Contractor's License
- Note: Out-of-state contractor must obtain a valid State of Virginia Contractor's License.
- For questions concerning the state license requirements, please contact the State of Virginia, Department of Professional Occupational Regulations, 804-367-8511
- City of Chesapeake Business License
- The Commissioner of the Revenue for the City of Chesapeake requires a city business license for a contractor whose business is based in the City of Chesapeake
- Out-of-state contractors must obtain a City of Chesapeake Business License
- Other Virginia municipality city business license is recognized until the threshold of contract value work conducted in Chesapeake accumulates to $25,000.00 in a calendar year; when this contract value is reached, a Chesapeake City Business License is required.
Upon the arrival at the Department of Development & Permits, a Zoning Plans Examiner will review your request for compliance with the Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance. You may need to visit the Development Construction Division on the 3rd floor of City Hall for a Land Disturbance Permit and bonding requirements and payments. Once all reviews have been completed and approved you will make payments for water, sewer and HRSD as well as permit fees and your permit will be issued.
When submitting online via the eBUILD system, the same process takes place electronically and you will be notified to pay any fees due when the permit is ready.
- The minimum fee is $50.00.
The permit fee is based upon square footage of the structure. The minimum fee is an administrative fee of $50.00 for issuing each permit, plus an additional $10.00 per 100 square feet or fraction thereof.
For example: For a new commercial building with 14,000 square feet, the fee will be:
14,000/100 = 140
140 x 10 = $1,400
+ $50.00 (administrative fee) = base fee $1,450.00
- New Commercial Fee Schedule
- Additionally, the plan review fee Plan Review Fees and a 2% state levy are assessed to the permit cost plus a $5.00 technology fee.
Base fee $1,450.00
+ $30.00 Certificate of Occupancy = $1,480.00
+ $350.00 plan review fee = $1,830.00
+ $36.60 (2% State Levy) = $1,866.60
+ $ 5.00 technology fee = $1,871.40
After obtaining the building permit, the electrical, plumbing, mechanical and gas (if applicable) permits are required.
- Electrical Permit or Online Electrical Permit
- Plumbing Permit or Online Plumbing Permit
- Mechanical and Gas Permit or Online Gas Permit and Mechanical Permits