- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Note on Renewals
If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
The Clerk of Court has presented a general overview of procedural information. For review of a specific statute in its entirety, please refer to the Code of Virginia.
VA legislation to require in-person training for concealed carry handgun permits starting: Jan. 1, 2021.
FOR TIMELY SERVICE DUE TO COVID-19
We do not make copies
To be considered a complete concealed handgun permit application must include:
- Required copies of the following information:
- Drivers license,
- CHP weapons permit, certificates,
- Military ID's and DD214,
- list of last 5 years of residence
- If your address is different than your current driver’s license address, please include a current utility bill, or personal property tax 2020-21 or current signed lease-rental agreement.
Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Virginia Code Sections 18.2-308.02 and 06
Requirements & Procedure
- Must be a resident of Chesapeake; And
- 21 years of age or older; And
- Proof of handgun safety course; Or
- Previously issued concealed weapon permit; Or
- Valid Virginia hunting license; Or
- Proof of service in the military
- (retired military must provide a copy of their DD214)
APPLICATION FOR CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT
COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
Please printout the completed application (Virginia State Police Forms & Publications website) and bring to the Clerk of Court's office. We require walk-ins for first time permit applications. Please note the following additional requirements/documents need to process the application.
- Check in the amount of $50 (Fee) payable to Clerk of Circuit Court. There will be NO REFUNDS.
- An additional page with the past 5-year history of your residence along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Upon approval of the application the permit will be mailed to you by the Chesapeake Circuit Court Clerk's Office.
- Proof of residency is a DMV issued ID with your Chesapeake address on it. In the instance you do not meet the accepted proof of residency, we will also accept a current power/natural gas bill (in your name), DMV registration, personal property tax bill, an unexpired lease or the DMV issued change of address card.
- Application fee is nonrefundable.
Fees & Costs
$50 Fee – Cash, Check, Visa or Mastercard* - There will be NO REFUNDS.
Make checks payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court
*Please note a 2% convenience fee will be added to your total if you choose to use a credit/debit card
(The application is available on the Virginia State Police Forms & Publications website.)
Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Clerk of the Circuit Court of the County or City in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the County or City in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. All pages of the completed application (attach a separate listing of all addresses within the last 5 year period), copy of driver’s license or
PERMIT IS VALID FOR 5 YEARS
- NOTE ON RENEWALS: If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
*OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS APPLY WITH STATE POLICE*
Any other questions refer to the CODE OF VIRGINIA 18.2-308.
Alan P. Krasnoff, Clerk
Chesapeake Circuit Court