- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Note on Renewals
If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
The Clerk of Court has presented a general overview of procedural information. For review of a specific statute in its entirety, please refer to the Code of Virginia.
How to Apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit
Virginia Code Sections 18.2-308.02 and 06
- Government-issued picture ID; and
- Resident of Chesapeake; and
- 21 years of age or older; and
- Proof of handgun safety training. *Effective January 2021: Virginia requires in-person training for concealed carry handgun permits.
*First-time applicants must submit applications in person.
A complete concealed handgun application must include:
- Application form SP-248 (7-1-21) – available at www.vsp.virginia.gov
- *Copy of driver’s license or military ID (If driver’s license has current address listed, it can also serve as proof of Chesapeake residency.)
- *Copy of any one of the following:
- Copy of Virginia driver’s with current address listed (see above)
- DMV-issued change of address card
- Natural gas or power statement dated within the past 30 days
- Current lease agreement
- Personal property tax bill
- *Copy of any one of the following:
- Proof of completion of handgun safety course
- Valid hunting license
- Military ID if active duty
- DD214 if retired or honorably discharged from military
- Current or expired concealed handgun permit
- Residential address(es) from last 5 years, listed on separate page
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope. Upon approval, the Circuit Court will mail you the permit.
- $50 Non-refundable fee – Cash, check, money order, Visa or Mastercard (Make check or money order payable to Chesapeake Circuit Court. A 2% convenience fee is added to Credit/Debit payments.)
*We are unable to make copies of any of the above documents to complete an application. The applicant is responsible for providing copies as instructed.
PERMIT IS VALID FOR 5 YEARS
- NOTE ON RENEWALS: If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Clerk of the Circuit Court of the County or City in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the County or City in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. All pages of the completed application (attach a separate listing of all addresses within the last 5 year period), copy of driver’s license or state issued ID with your current Chesapeake address, and copy of proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun (a copy of your current or expired permit can also be used to demonstrate competency) must be submitted to the Clerk’s Office at 307 Albemarle Drive, Suite 300A, Chesapeake, VA 23322. There is no requirement as to the length of time an applicant for a Concealed Handgun Permit must have been a resident or domiciliary of the County or City where he or she resides.
*OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS APPLY WITH STATE POLICE*
Any other questions refer to the CODE OF VIRGINIA 18.2-308.
Alan P. Krasnoff, Clerk
Chesapeake Circuit Court