- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
|Phone: 757-382-3050||Fax: 757-382-3080|
|Address: 307 Albemarle Drive, Suite 400A, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
|Visit the Virginia Judicial System website for additional contact information, court schedules, and a list judges.|
Chesapeake Circuit Court COVID-19 Operating Schedule - Updated September 30, 2020
All individuals must wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth continuously.
Social distancing requirements will be enforced, with the exception of family, household members or caretakers.
Gathering, lingering, and loitering is prohibited unless directed by the Court or Sheriff during pretrial or prehearing staging.
Individuals may be prohibited from entering the court if withing the previous 14 days:
- they have traveled internationally;
- been directed to quarantine, isolate, or self-monitor;
- been diagnosed with or been in contact with anyone with COVID-19;
- experienced a fever, cough, or shortness of breath; or
- resided with or been in close contact with any person in the above categories.
This order regarding courthouse security, health and safety measures during the COVID-19 emergency was issued by Chief Judge Randall D. Smith on May 15.
The Circuit Court of the City of Chesapeake is a Court of general jurisdiction served by five (5) judges. The Court hears criminal and civil cases including divorce cases. The Court also hears appeals from decisions of the General District and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts. In most cases, with the exception of divorce cases, any party is entitled to a jury trial upon notice to the other parties and upon the filing of the request in the Clerk’s Office, pursuant to the Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court.
- Court hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Circuit Court Clerk’s office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sentencing and Probation Violation hearings commence at 9 a.m. each day, excluding Wednesday.
- Criminal and Civil Trials commence at 9 a.m. each day, excluding Wednesday.
- Continuances of Cases Due to Court Closure: Pursuant to Rule 14 of the Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court, cases set to be heard on a day on which the Court and Clerk’s Office have been
closed pursuant to Virginia Code § 17.1-207(A)(3), due to the determination
that operation of the Court and Clerk’s Office, under prevailing conditions,
would constitute a threat to the health and safety of personnel or the general
public, will be continued as follows: (1) Criminal trials, motions, probation
violation hearings and sentencing hearings will be called at the next scheduled
Criminal Docket Call; however, counsel may
submit an agreed continuance order prior to docket call. (2) Civil trials will
be called at the Court’s next scheduled Civil Docket Call. Contested divorce trials will be continued generally and may be
rescheduled by contacting the Court’s Docket Administrator at 757-382-3053. (3)
Civil motions and uncontested divorce hearings will be continued generally and
may be rescheduled in accordance with Local Rule 7.
- Prohibited items include weapons, anything that could be used as a weapon, electronic devices, and food, drinks and gum. The list of prohibited items is not exhaustive. All contraband will be confiscated.
- Attire must be neat and clean. It must show dignity and respect for the court. Unacceptable attire includes flip-flop style shoes, hats, caps, clothing indicating gang affiliation, muscle shirts, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs and baggy pants; clothing with offensive, vulgar, racist, sexist, obscene, suggestive words, slogans, depictions, or pictures, including grotesque creatures; and provocative clothing designed or styled or worn to provoke an emotion or disrupt or distract the court.