- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Notable Yards Contest Winners
Beautiful winning yards in Chesapeake high school districts have been recognized by the Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC) as part of the Chesapeake's Notable Yards Contest.
Each winning home received a certificate, $50 gift certificate from White's Old Mill Garden Center, and the placement of a sign in the yard for a one-month period. The program is sponsored by the Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC).
"It is a privilege to be able to tour so many beautiful gardens," said Jean Pfaehler, mayoral appointee to the CEIC and project sub-committee chairperson. "The yards are all so different. It is quite interesting. We have seen yards that devote more space to gardens, rather than to lawn area. Many homeowners are using rain barrels and compost bins. We have seen beautiful yard art, outdoor seating areas, and plantings that help to decrease maintenance."
The 2020 winners include:
- DEEP CREEK: Mike and Crystal Phelps, 552 Trent Avenue
- GRASSFIELD: Joan and Bill Gregory, 3105 Rebecca Drive
- GREAT BRIDGE: Peter and Kim Pasquale, 1116 Sutherlyn Court
- HICKORY: Beth Keane, 848 JoAnne Circle
- INDIAN RIVER: Larry Hilmandolar, 1033 Wynngate Drive
- OSCAR SMITH: Sam and Stacy Gates, 1401 Kay Avenue
- WESTERN BRANCH: William and Karen Freck, 1552 Lauren Ashleigh Drive
For more information, contact the Special Programs Office of the Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department at 757-382-6411.