- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
When Does Daylight Saving & Standard Time Begin?
Daylight Saving Time
Daylight Saving Time begins at 2 a.m. the 2nd Sunday in March.
Clocks move forward one hour - 2 a.m. becomes 3 a.m. You lose one hour at the beginning of Daylight Saving Time.
Standard Time begins at 2 a.m. the 1st Sunday in November.
Clocks move back one hour - 2 a.m. becomes 1 a.m. You gain one hour at the resumption of Standard Time.
After you reset your clocks, the Chesapeake Fire Department wants to remind you to check the batteries in your home smoke detector or replace them.
- Place a smoke detector on each floor of your home.
- Place additional detectors in bedrooms, since many fatal fires happen at night.
- Install smoke detector on the ceiling or wall, 6-8 inches below the ceiling.
- Replace smoke detector after 8-10 years.
The Smoke Detector Program provides a free smoke detector to those who qualify.