- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- Property Information
Public Safety Telecommunicator I and Public Safety Call Taker
Join The Team!
What do you get when you join the Chesapeake Emergency Communications Center? Opportunity. Your assignment will give you a challenging and rewarding career and a place to develop and grow. You'll have an opportunity to serve the public, to help people unable to help themselves, to prevent crime and to promote justice.
- Public Safety Telecommunicator I – $36,525.00
- Public Safety Call Taker - $34,340.00
The Police Department employs highly motivated individuals to train for the Emergency Communications Center. Individuals selected for the position will be trained to answer 9-1-1 calls and/or dispatch police, fire, rescue, and animal control personnel in response to emergency and non-emergency situations using various communication systems. This position requires the ability to work in a confined environment wearing headsets, which restrict physical movement in the work area, and sitting and viewing computer displays for extended periods of time. Candidates must have the ability to perform as a team player, work under pressure, and be available to work all shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays. See other requirements and disqualifiers below.
- View City of Chesapeake Employee Benefits
- Potential Career Development Levels: Public Safety Telecommunicator II, Public Safety Telecommunicator III, Public Safety Telecommunicator Supervisor
- Must be 18 years of age
- Possess a High School diploma or GED
- Be a US citizen or meet VCIN requirements
- Pass a telecommunicator job skills related test (no prior telecommunicator experience is required, the test will evaluate skills such as decision making, multitasking, memory recall, data entry, typing skills & speed, oral comprehension, information processing,
cross referencing, etc.)
- Pass an oral interview
- Pass a background check, suitability test, and drug screening
- Untruthfulness or the withholding of any information on any application, interview, or paperwork associated with the application process
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with the position
- Use of any illegal drug or substance, including but not limited to Cocaine, LSD, PCP, within the last five (5) years
- Conviction of any crime involving acts of deceit, immorality, or dishonesty
How Do You Join?
Once you apply, information about submitting your Personal History Statement, and more, will be sent to the email listed on your application. If you have any questions regarding the position or hiring process, please email CPD911Hiring@cityofchesapeake.net.
Please visit the City's hiring website area for more information and the application at: Jobs.CityofChesapeake.net
- City's C.L.I.C.K. Online Application
- Personal History Statement
(The Personal History Statement is required in addition to the City application)
Why join now? Because we need you and you need an exciting career!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.