- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- Property Information
Plan Approval for New Commercial Building Construction
Where should I start to process a new commercial construction project?
You must determine the type of business and location, then contact the zoning officer in the Department of Development & Permits to ensure the proposed use is a permitted use or conditional use.
The following plans should be submitted to the appropriate departments:
- Site Plans – Preliminary, Department of Planning, 306 Cedar Road, City Hall, 2nd floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322; Phone – 757-382-6176
- Site Plans – Final (land disturbance, entrance permit); for questions concerning off-street entrance requirement, land disturbing permits or site plan requirements, please contact the Department of Development & Permits, Development Engineering Division at 757-382-6101
- Contact Public Utilities for Water and Sewer availability and fees.
You may submit your building plans to the Plans Examiner in the Department of Development & Permits at any time prior to the site plan approval. You may submit online via our eBuild system.
The following are plan review requirements based upon the 2015 International Building Code:
- Submittal letter (cover letter) from Architect or Engineer.
- One complete set of building plans including a site plan showing the building location and finished floor elevations
Information required on building construction plans.
- A title block on the cover sheet or front page which includes:
- The design code used and the edition of the code
- Use Group
- Type of Construction
- List of all installed Fire Protection features
- Code design options
- Identify if the building is sprinklers
- Square footage of building & rooms; occupant load total
- Building plans, stamped, signed and sealed by the architect or designer shall include:
- All appropriate wall, floor and foundation sections
- Complete door schedule with catalog cuts for all doors and hardware (including locksets)
- Complete interior finish schedule with flame spread rating
- List of all rated assemblies (include a diagram of assembly and design number) & penetration number
- Details showing all handicapped requirements with compliance with ICC/ANSI - A117.1, 2009 Edition
- Electrical plans (show
locationof all exit and means of egress lighting.)
- Plumbing plans with riser diagrams of waste and vent piping and size of piping
- Mechanical plans showing equipment sizes and ductwork and locations
- Complete information for all special occupancy requirements (hazardous uses, high rise, and covered mall)
- Statement of Special Inspections (2015 Version)
- Geo Tech/Soil Report
- Calculations showing compliance with the Model Energy Code, 2015 Edition
Normally, plan review will take a minimum of 30 days and is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Please utilize this information when planning your project and plan review timeline.
If your plan is disapproved, the Plans Examiner will send a plan review letter from the eBuild system, requesting revisions, corrections and/or additional information necessary to complete the review process. After your plan is approved, the permit may not be issued until all other required information is obtained. Some examples of other required information may include contractor information and cost of construction.