Station 5: Great Bridge
Fire Station 5 is a multi-company fire station located at 451 Hanbury Road West, in the heart of Great Bridge. The response area is made up of mostly single family residential and light commercial structures, which also includes the City's municipal center. Though the Great Bridge section of the City has gone through a large development boom during the 1990's and 2000's, there are still a few areas that do not have fire hydrants, also known as "No Water Zones". Firefighters from Fire Station 5 also respond to incidents on both the Chesapeake Expressway and the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway.
Fire Station 5's history dates back before the City of Chesapeake, when Great Bridge was part of Norfolk County. The "Great Bridge Fire Department" was formed in 1948 with the cooperation of both the Army Corp of Engineers and Norfolk County. The original "Great Bridge Fire Station" can still be seen just west of the Great Bridge draw bridge, sitting on the south bank of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway.
The current Fire Station 5 was built in 1994 and houses Battalion Chief 2, Engine Co. 5 (2009 Pierce), Ladder Co. 5 (2008 Pierce), Medic 5 (2008 MEDTEC International) and an emergency medical supervisor. Daily staffing consists of a battalion chief, two company officers, six firefighters, and a medical supervisor. In 2004, the station became the new home for the Chesapeake Hazardous Materials Team. The crews assigned to Fire Station 5 are elite firefighters trained to respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials.
When you are in the area of Great Bridge, come by and visit the "The Guardians of Great Bridge"