A moving and hauling permit is required if the items being moved are over the following dimensions:
- Gross Weight: 80,000 pounds
- Weight (single axle): 20,000 pounds
- Weight (tandem axle): 34,000 pounds
- Height: 13 feet, 6 inches
- Length: 40-foot vehicle alone or 65-foot combination of vehicles
- Width: All vehicles over 8 feet, 6 inches
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)/Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has jurisdiction only on those roads maintained by VDOT: I-64, I-464, I-664 and Route 58. The State Permit issued by VDOT/DMV is valid on these routes only. The City of Chesapeake has jurisdiction on and issues permits for all other roads.