The general functions may be divided into six categories:
- Assesses all real estate, including non-taxable properties, annually at 100% of their fair market value.
- Interprets and administers all laws pertaining to real estate assessments and certain exemptions.
- Maintains records and provides information on each parcel of real estate in the City of Chesapeake.
- Mails notice of any change in any annual assessment. Such notice shall be postmarked on or before March 1 following the effective date of such annual assessment.
- Conducts hearings and reviews assessments with the public.
- Conducts informal site reviews at the request of the public.