- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Residential Plan Approval
If the home will be constructed in a new subdivision, a subdivision construction drawing must be submitted to the Department of Development & Permits, Development Engineering Division, City Hall, 3rd Floor, for approval (Site Plan Approval).
The plat for a private residential lot in the City of Chesapeake should be recorded in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office with a Map Book and Page Number. If the plat has not been recorded, the builder or owner builder may apply to have the plat recorded with the Clerk of Circuit Court.
You should submit the following via our online eBuild system or bring the following to the City of Chesapeake City Hall, 2nd floor, Department of Development & Permits:
- One (1) set of Survey/Site Plans (Electronic Submittal preferred)
A survey site plan is a plan of the property, drawn to scale, showing the true dimensions of the lot and the location and true dimensions of all existing and proposed structures. A copy of the most recent survey of the property is the preferred document for this purpose. Any recent or proposed structures can be drawn onto the survey.
- One (1) set of Building Plans
(Electronic submittal preferred)
- A floor plan of the existing and/or proposed structure.
- A wall section showing the proposed foundation, framing, insulation and roofing. (Note: Additional details may be required depending upon the scope of work.)
- Landscaping Plan
- A single family residential landscaping plan for tree canopy is required that includes a standard calculation format to be printed on or attached to the plan. (see Landscape Guidelines)
- R-5 Residential Plan Review Information Sheet-2012 Code
- R-5 Residential Plan Review Information Sheet - 2015 Code
If not utilizing the eBuild system, you will need to complete a Building Permit Application and submit (1) Survey/Site Plan for approval.
The following information must be submitted at the time of application:
- Land Disturbing Permit
- A lot over 10,000 sq. ft. requires a Land Disturbing License.
- Mechanics Lien Agent (if desired)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Contractor's License (builder or contractor)
- City of Chesapeake Business License (builder or contractor)
- This is required if the contract value is more than $25,000.00 or if the contractor's business is located out of state.
Upon the completion of Step 1, you will then need to submit your Building Plan to the Plans Examiner for review and approval. A $40.00 Plan Review Fee is required at the time of the plan submittal plus an additional 2% state levy to all plan review fees.
Plan reviews take a maximum of 7 business days or less to complete.
The inspector will utilize the City of Chesapeake or Development and Permits Residential Plan Checklist 2015 to ensure that the detailed plan is completely and thoroughly reviewed.
If your plan is approved, you will receive an email from the eBuild system with the approval and your plans can be downloaded from the eBuild site.
If your plan is disapproved, the eBuild system will notify you by email. You will need to download the plan review letter from the attachments in eBuild. A Residential Plan Checklist containing correction information will also be attached to your plan.
After your plan is corrected, you will need to resubmit our revisions by uploading to the attachments in eBuild. You will not have to pay a plan review fee for resubmittals. Normally, a resubmitted plan review takes a maximum of three business days.
After your plan has been reviewed and approved, you will receive an email from the eBuild system the plans are approved and may be downloaded from the attachments in eBuild.
To use our One-Stop-Shop service, the above listings must be prepared prior to visiting our department. You don't need to visit the Department of Public Utilities for approval in most cases.
The building permit will be issued and all the aforementioned-approvals will be approved at the same time.
Not only the building permit, but also the electrical, plumbing, mechanical and gas permits are available for you if you wish to obtain them at the same time.
Next » Obtain Building Permit