Changes to Availability of Chesapeake Parks & PR&T Facilities
Announcement by Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism
This page is updated frequently and will indicate changes of availability to the general public at the City of Chesapeake's parks and recreational facilities, to include community centers and specialty facilities. Examples of such changes could be due to major renovations or repairs, City major events or other large-scale activities or programs, large rentals, etc.
These changes could affect parking, traffic, and/or other amenities. See the following information for specific listings. Parks will be open to the public during these events/programs unless otherwise specified on this page.
City-observed Holidays may also affect the availability at our centers and specialty facilities. See the listing of City-observed holidays (PDF).
- December 2 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - DAR/SAR Ceremony
Battlefield Park South
- December 2 - 3 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. - Battle of Great Bridge
Bells Mill Park
- November 21 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. - Greenbrier Christian Cross Country Meet
- November 18-19 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Chesapeake Challenge Cup
Dismal Swamp Canal Trail
- August 14 to February 2024 - Temporary Closure of Ballahack Boat Ramp and Parking area due to construction (paving of parking area and associated improvements). The trail will remain open during the construction phase.
- December 2 from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. - Dismal Swamp 100K/50K and Marathon
- The gyms at the River Crest and Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee community centers will be closed for floor refinishing from Monday, November 13, through Friday, November 24. Projected reopening is Saturday, November 25.
Outdoor Tennis Courts
- Great Bridge High School tennis courts are closed for renovation beginning 10/11/23 until further notice.
You may receive notifications through Chesapeake Alert for major changes in parks and facilities due to renovations, repair or major events by signing up for Chesapeake Alert.
For up-to-the-minute Parks, Recreation and Tourism event cancellations and postponements, visit our department Facebook page.
Give us a call at 757-382-6411 for additional information.