What Is a Subdivision Variance?
Section 70-86 of the Subdivision Ordinance states that in cases where the subdivider can show that strict adherence to the public improvement requirements in articles III and IV of the Subdivision Ordinance would cause an unnecessary hardship, the Planning Commission may grant a variance to such requirements. When considering a variance, the Planning Commission must determine that because of topography or other conditions peculiar to the site, a departure from the requirements can be made without destroying the intent of the Subdivision Ordinance standards and provisions.
- Application Deadline 5 p.m. the 4th Monday of the month. View the Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule (PDF).
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents to the Planning Department by 5 p.m. on the filing deadline date.
- Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Instructions (PDF) prior to submitting an application.
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Real Estate Tax Demonstration Form Call or Email Treasurer's Office, a signed form can be emailed, ready to upload
- Electronic Preliminary Subdivision Plan, meeting requirements of Section 70-24 of the Chesapeake Subdivision Ordinance and clearly demonstrating any requested variances, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic version of any additional drawings, pictures, or information which will assist the Planning Commission in making their decision, ready to upload
- Prepared justification for the requested variance
- Acceptable Filing Fee (PDF) payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
After Online Application Submittal
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
- The Planning Department will supply these prior to sign posting deadline. The sign posting deadline is not less than fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the first scheduled public hearing before the Planning Commission. Photos of the posted sign(s) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email for pick-up and will be required to pay when invoiced.
- Public Hearing Sign Release Form
- Public Hearing Sign Posting Instructions
- Attend mandatory Applicant Conference on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, the month after the application is filed.
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
- The project will require a minimum of four advertisements for the Planning Commission and for the City Council Meeting. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by the City Clerk, City of Chesapeake invoice.