Long Range Planning & Policy
The Comprehensive Planning division oversees the responsible planning and long-range development of the City. The Comprehensive Plan serves as a blueprint to guide the City's future growth and land use. Moving Forward Chesapeake 2035 Comprehensive Plan was adopted by City Council on February 25, 2014 and last amended on December 18, 2018. The entire Comprehensive Plan can be viewed using the following flipping book.
View the Moving Forward - Chesapeake 2035 Comprehensive Plan. If you have any problems downloading the plan, please contact the webmaster.
View the Technical Document (PDF) referenced in the Comprehensive Plan.
View the Design Guidelines Manual and Visual Preference Survey (PDF) referenced in the Technical Document.
Highlights of the Adopted Plan
View the Highlights of the Adopted Plan (PDF).
Section 15.2-2230 of the Code of Virginia requires that a locality review its Comprehensive Plan at least once every five years to determine if it is advisable to amend the Plan. In addition to the two amendments mentioned above, Planning Department staff met with an appointed citizen advisory committee to review implementation of the 2035 Comprehensive Plan and provide recommendations for changes. The final 2018 report, Mayor's Advisory Committee on Comprehensive Plan Strategies, contained priorities for studies that will begin in 2022.
Comprehensive Plan Resources
- 2035 Land Use Plan (PDF)
- 2050 Master Transportation Plan (PDF)
- 2050 Trails Plan (PDF)
- Public Utilities Franchise Area Map (PDF)
- Transportation Corridor Overlay District (TCOD) Map (PDF)
- Ordinances and Policies
Other Area Plans & Studies
- Dominion Boulevard Corridor Study and Economic Development Strategic Plan, 2016
- Gateway Virginia Innovation District (Frank T Williams Farm Tract), 2018
- Great Bridge Village Design Guidelines, 2008
- Great Dismal Swamp and Nansemond National Wildlife Refuges (PDF)
- Indian River/Military Highway Corridor Study, 2021
- Joint Land Use Study Full Report, 2005 (PDF)
- Summary of Actions Taken to Address Land Use and Encroachment in Nalf Fentress (PDF)
- Poindexter Street Strategic Development Plan (PDF)
- South Military Highway Corridor Study, 2004
- South Norfolk Municipal Facilities Study Final Report (PDF)
- Survey Update of Architectural Resources Within the Rural Overlay District (PDF)
- Transportation Corridor Overlay Study (TCOD), 2018
- U.S. Route 17 - Great Dismal Swamp Corridor Study (PDF)
- Western Branch Land Use - Summary, 2005