Use & Occupancy Classifications
Use & Occupancy Classifications with Examples
- A1 - Theatres and concert halls
- A2 - Restaurants, night clubs, banquet halls and bars
- A3 - Gyms (without spectator seating), churches, bowling alleys and exhibition halls
- A4 - Indoor arenas, skating rinks, swimming pools and tennis courts
- A5 - Amusement parks, grandstands, stadiums and bleachers
- B - Banks, professional offices, barber shops and beauty shops
- E - Schools and daycares
- F1 - Manufacturing, fabricating and assembling products of moderate hazard
Example: Bakeries, cabinet shops, dry cleaning, food processing, laundries, printing or publishing, refuse incineration
- F2 - Manufacturing or fabricating products of low-hazard
Example: Ceramic products, brick or masonry, foundries, gypsum, ice
- H1 - Detonation hazard.
- H2 - Deflagration or accelerated burning hazard.
- H3 - Readily support combustion or pose a physical threat.
- H4 - Health hazard
- H5 - Hazardous production materials
- I1 - More than 16 persons on a 24-hour basis
Example: Assisted living, alcohol and drug centers, group homes, half-way houses, convalescent facilities.
- I2 - More than 5 persons not capable of self-preservation
Example: Hospitals, nursing homes, mental hospitals, detoxification facilities.
- I3 - Correctional centers, detention centers, jail, prisons
- I4 - Day Care Facilities for less than 24 hours for more then 5 persons
Example: Adult-care facility and children facility.
- M - Drug store, department stores, markets, motor fuel-dispensing facilities, retail or wholesale stores, sales rooms
- R1 - Boarding houses, hotels, motels
- R2 - Apartments, dormitories, vacation timeshares
- R3 - Child or adult care less than 6 persons, no more than 2 dwellings
- R4 - Care-assisted occupancies with 6 to 16 occupants excluding staff
- R5 - Single Family dwellings, townhouses, duplexes and accessory structures
- S1 - Moderate-hazard storage
Example: Paper products, wood products, tobacco products, wax candles, bulk storage tires, dry boat storage, motor vehicle repair garages
- S2 - Low-hazard storage
Example: Metal products, aircraft hangar, parking garages, cement in bags, food products, dairy products, meats, mirrors, porcelain and pottery, frozen foods
Utility & Miscellaneous
- U - Sheds, storage tanks, towers, greenhouses, carports, retaining wall (not associated with an R5 occupancy)