Our Mission and Vision
Welcome to the City of Chesapeake’s Parks, Recreation and Tourism website.
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism (PRT) Department is dedicated to providing and promoting a wide variety of healthy, wholesome, and culturally diverse activities, events, services, programs, and sites to create community engagement opportunities and to enhance the quality of life for all Chesapeake residents and visitors. The department is also committed to preserving, maintaining, and beautifying the City's parks, facilities, open spaces and natural resources, and cultivating historical sites and experiences, all in making the City a greener and healthier place to live, learn, work, farm, and play.
- Providing exceptional customer service in our interactions with our customers, visitors, and coworkers while displaying professionalism, integrity, and being fiscally responsible.
- Working with volunteers, local businesses, schools, and community partners to beautify the City using conservation and sustainable practices.
- Increase community engagement by promoting department offerings.
- Developing historical sites and resources and integrating cultural diversity in the experiences offered to citizens and visitors.
- Providing recreation programs that are safe, fun, and enjoyable while ensuring equity and fairness for all.
- Improving connectivity, walkability, and accessibility to parks and open spaces.
- Establish a strong media outreach program for Chesapeake as a tourism destination for meetings, sports, events, and leisure travel. Maintain the destination brand and the unified message to visitors inquiring about Chesapeake. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Recreational Services and Facilities
The department provides a wide array of services, programs, activities and events for a diverse population of all ages and with varying interests. In addition to programs and events, there are more than 80 parks throughout the city that include open and natural areas, trails, playgrounds, shelters, fitness areas and athletic fields, as well as a number of additional amenities to include dog parks, mini and disc golf, campgrounds, water playgrounds, historical landmarks, and much more.
Our facilities also include opportunities for waterway access to enjoy fishing, crabbing, kayaking, canoeing, and boating.
Our 8 community centers and 4 specialty service facilities cultivate community connections and engagement and offer amenities such as fitness rooms, club rooms with kitchen, meeting spaces, and game rooms. Some of the many programs provided at centers and outdoor sites are instructional classes, camps, interpretative trails, and after-school programs, with the mission of fostering an appreciation for the outdoors and wildlife, improving the environment, historical significance, and lessons and practices for a healthy lifestyle.
Recreational services also include activities and events designed for specific populations for youth and adults, the 55 & Better community, and those with special needs. With the assistance of our volunteers and community partnerships, we work to make a positive impact on peoples’ lives in Chesapeake and beyond and are always striving to provide exceptional services to make our City a better place to visit, live, learn, work, farm, and play.