- Departments H to Z
- Human Resources Department
- Career Opportunities with the City of Chesapeake
- Fire & Police Department Applicants
Fire & Police Department Applicants
Employment information, which includes the City employment application, is posted on our applicant site and is updated daily.
Contact the Department of Human Resources with all employment-related questions, by emailing Human Resources - Selection.
Eligibility Requirements to Participate in the Firefighter Entrance Exam - Examination Process and Automatic Disqualifying Factors
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years of age at the time of conditional offer
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a GED
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license with an acceptable driving record and
- Must have no felony convictions or any convictions involving acts of dishonesty, deceit, or immorality
Automatic Disqualifying Factors
- Felony or misdemeanor convictions involving acts of violence, dishonesty, deceit, or immorality.
- A conviction of any crime involving sexual misconduct where the lack of affirmative consent by the victim is an element of the crime.
- A conviction involving the sexual or physical abuse of children, the elderly or the incapacitated.
- A conviction of any crime (including abuse, neglect, theft from, or financial exploitation) against a person entrusted to his/her care or protection in which the victim is a patient or is a resident of a health care facility.
- A conviction of any crime involving the use, possession, manufacturing, and/or distribution of illegal drugs within the last five years.
- A conviction of any "Crimes Against the Person" within the last five years, as prescribed by Administrative Regulation 2.46, Workplace Violence Prevention Policy.
- A conviction of any barrier crimes or offenses enumerated in Code of Virginia § 63.2-1719, as amended from time to time, or equivalent offenses in another state.
- Must possess a driving record which is in accordance with the City Driving Standards (PDF) policy.
- Inclusion on either the National Sex Offender Public Website or the Virginia State Department of Social Services' Child Protective Services Central Registry
- Use of Cocaine, LSD, PCP, or any type of hallucinogenic drug in the last five years or use of Marijuana in the last three years, unless the candidate has successfully completed, or is currently participating in, a supervised drug rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs. The candidate may also demonstrate that he/she has been otherwise rehabilitated successfully and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs.
- Identified by the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General as excluded from Medicare and other federal health-care programs
- Any disciplinary or enforcement action from another state Emergency Medical Services (EMS) office, or other recognized state or national healthcare provider licensing or certifying body within the last five years;
- Permanent, or a history of, revocation of license or certification by another state EMS office or other recognized state or national healthcare provider licensing or certifying body
- Dishonorable discharge or any conduct related discharge from any military service. Uncharacterized discharges will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Untruthfulness or the intentional withholding of information on any application, interview, or paperwork associated with this process or
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with this process
Fire Entrance Exam Info
The next exam has not yet been scheduled. Please check back for updates.
Please notify the Fire Department directly of any change in your contact information at 757-382-6297 or 757-382-6497. In addition, please keep your contact information updated in our applicant site.
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) Online - Streaming Video: View streaming video of all 8 events of the CPAT.
- Fire Department Homepage
Police Entrance Process Info
Now Hiring! Apply Online.
- 1. Police Officer (VA Experienced Officer)
- 2. Police Officer Trainee (No Experience)
Please review the Chesapeake Police Department (CPD) employment webpage for further details.
If you have questions in regards to the Police Department's hiring process, please contact the Police Department's Background Investigations or Recruitment Unit:
- Email CPD Recruiting
- Email CPD Background Investigation
- Call/Text: 757-647-8458
- Schedule a Phone or Zoom Meeting
Please note: The Department of Human Resources must be given 48 hours advance notice of any "reasonable accommodations" necessary for testing and/or interviews. Reasonable Accommodation Request forms are available in the Department of Human Resources. Equal Opportunity Employer.