Leave & Holidays
Employees hired on or before December 31, 2013; as well as employees with prior service in the Virginia Retirement System under Plans 1 or 2 that was not disbursed; and employees in sworn public safety positions hired on or after January 1, 2014 accrue annual leave. The following chart represents the annual accrual rate per month:
|Years of Service||Full-Time Employees||Full-Time Sworn Fire Employees||Accelerated Accruals*||Regular Part-Time Employees Working|
40 to 79 Hours/Month
|Regular Part-Time Employees Working|
80 to 119 Hours/Month
|Regular Part-Time Employees Working|
120 to 159 Hours/Month
|1 to 4 Years||8 hours||22.4 hours||16 hours||2 hours||4 hours||6 hours|
|5 to 9 Years||10 hours||25.2 hours||18 hours||2.5 hours||5 hours||7.5 hours|
|10 to 14 Years||12 hours||28.0 hours||20 hours||3 hours||6 hours||9 hours|
|15 to 19 Years||14 hours||30.8 hours||22 hours||3.5 hours||7 hours||10.5 hours|
|20 or More Years||16 hours||33.6 hours||24 hours||4 hours||8 hours||12 hours|
Full-time and regular part-time employees hired on or before December 31, 2013; as well as employees with prior service in the Virginia Retirement System under Plans 1 or 2 that was not disbursed; and employees in sworn public safety positions hired on or after January 1, 2014 accrue sick leave. Regular full-time employees accrue sick leave at eight hours per month. Full-time sworn Fire department employees working 56 hours per week accrue 11.2 hours per month. Regular part-time employees who work at least 40 hours per month accrue sick leave at a pro-rated amount.
- Full-Time Employees and Police Officers working 40 hours per week: 8 hours of sick leave
- Full-Time Sworn Fire Employees working 56 hours per week: 11.2 hours of sick leave
- Regular Part-Time Employees Scheduled to work 40 to 79 hours per month: 2 hours of sick leave
- Regular Part-Time Employees Scheduled to work 80 to 119 hours per month: 4 hours of sick leave
- Regular Part-Time Employees Scheduled to work 120 to 159 hours per month: 6 hours of sick leave
Paid Time Off
Employees hired on or after January 1, 2014, excluding those with prior service in the Virginia Retirement System under Plans 1 or 2 that was not disbursed and employees in sworn public safety positions, accrue paid time off. The following chart represents the paid time off accrual rate per month:
|Years of Service||Full-Time Accruals per Month||Full Time Accelerated Accruals per Month (see note)||Regular Part-Time|
Employees Regularly Scheduled to Work 80
or More Hours per Month
Employees Regularly Scheduled to Work 80 or More Hours per Month Accelerated Accruals (see note)
|1 to 4 Years||12 hours||20 hours||6 hours||10 hours|
|5 to 9 Years||14 hours||22 hours||7 hours||11 hours|
|10-plus Years||16 hours||24 hours||8 hours||12 hours|
Note: Accrual rate applies to 1) designated employees working extended shifts within a 24 hour operational unit; and 2) operational units which require working holidays in their regular work schedule, e.g. Animal Control Officers, Bridge Tenders, Toll Collectors, Water Treatment plant workers, Police Department (Sworn), Police Information Associates, Evidence Technicians, Emergency Dispatchers, Juvenile Services Counselors, Juvenile Services Cooks, Sheriff Department (Sworn).
The City observes the same paid holidays and additional time off as the State of Virginia. See the full calendar of observed holidays.
The City also offers the following types of leave:
- Funeral Leave - up to three days of paid time off for the death of certain family members.
- Public Service Leave - paid time off for jury duty, serving as an election official, or providing court-required compelled witness testimony.
- Military Leave - time off to perform voluntary or required military service.
- Family and Medical Leave - time off for the birth or adoption of a child, a serious health condition, or to care for a family member with a serious health condition.
For additional information on leave-related benefits, please see Administrative Regulation 2.53 - Benefits Policy (PDF).
If you have any questions about the information on this page, you may contact a member of our benefits team by emailing Human Resources - Benefits.