- Boards & Commissions
- Chesapeake Fine Arts Commission
- 9 / 11 Memorial at Chesapeake City Park
9 / 11 Memorial at Chesapeake City Park
The Chesapeake 9/11 Memorial is located near the main entrance to Chesapeake City Park. Visitors can view the 5.5-ton steel beam from the World Trade Center displayed on concrete rubble, symbolic of Ground Zero. The beam sits inside a black, wrought iron fence in the shape of a pentagon. Additional artifacts from the Pentagon and Shanksville, PA are displayed in the Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism Visitor Center lobby.
An annual 9/11 Day of Remembrance commemoration ceremony is held in the park each September 11th to remember those who perished on 9/11, to honor those who rose in service to assist in the search and recovery efforts, and to pay tribute to those who protect and defend our country in the ongoing war against terrorism.
To obtain additional information about the memorial and history of the artifacts, or to volunteer, contact the Expanded Public Art (9/11 Memorial) Committee via Parks, Recreation and Tourism:
View Map of City Park with 9/11 Memorial marker (JPG)
How to Make a Donation
- Navigate to the Donation Site
- Use your credentials to login or Create a New Account (PDF)
- Select the Campaign you wish to make a Donation.
- Enter the donation amount and select the Add to My Cart button.
- Verify your information, donation choice and select the All done? proceed to Checkout button
- Note your convenience fee associated with your donation
- Scroll down and enter your payment information
- Select the box to confirm that you are 13 years of age or older
- Select the Continue button to generate a receipt
To Donate by Mail
Make check payable to "Chesapeake Treasurer" and send to the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Office, 1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23320. Please write "Chesapeake 9/11 Memorial" in the note section of the check.
- The Virginian-Pilot - Clipper (September 6, 2015)
- The Virginian-Pilot - Chesapeake's Best Bets (September 7, 2018)
- WCTV - Thinking Out Loud (September 5, 2013)