"We're looking for yards that look good and are good for nature."
Important elements include:
- Visual appeal of garden design
- Healthy lawn practices
- Native trees, shrubs and flowers
- Food gardens and/or wildlife habitat
Nominate your own or a neighbor's yard. Yards that are professionally maintained are ineligible. Open to all citizens in Chesapeake communities.
View Notable Yards Flyer (PNG).
Open April 1, 2023 and close April 30, 2023 [Nominations are closed]
Nominations and Judging Schedule for 2023
- April 1 through April 30 nominations will be accepted.
- Early May - Judging begins.
- June - Presentations made to winners. Winners are chosen for the following high school districts in Chesapeake: Deep Creek, Grassfield, Great Bridge, Hickory, Indian River, Oscar Smith, and Western Branch.
All winners will receive a Prize Pak and a sign is placed in the winning yards for a month.
The Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC), in partnership with the Chesapeake Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, is pleased to announce the winners of the 2022 Chesapeake Notable Yards contest.
The 2022 winners include:
- Deep Creek: Bobby Nance
- Grassfield: Morrison Family
- Great Bridge: Meredith Shafley
- Hickory: Stacy Kucharczk
- Indian River: Prezillia Degree
- Oscar Smith: Jamesetta Walker
- Western Branch: Bill and Gretchen Edwards-Bodmer
For more information, contact the Special Programs Office of the Chesapeake Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Department at 757-382-6411.