The Chesapeake marriage license application online is required to be submitted and an appointment is required to be scheduled prior to coming to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office. The cost for the license is $30 cash only.
Any person wishing to get married in the Commonwealth of Virginia must obtain a marriage license. Every license for a marriage shall be issued by the Clerk or deputy clerk of a circuit court of any county or city. If neither the Clerk nor his/her deputy is able to issue the license, it may be issued by the judge of the circuit court of such county or city. By statute, a marriage license is an essential prerequisite to the lawful solemnization of the marriage. Va. Code § 20-13.
After obtaining the license, the couple, to be legally married, must go before someone officially authorized to perform religious or civil marriage ceremonies. After the ceremony is performed, the person performing the marriage has certain legal duties in completing the marriage license and returning it to the issuing Clerk's office, who, in turn has the legal responsibilities as to recording the license and providing a copy to the Registrar of Vital Statistics.
To obtain a marriage license, the couple must meet certain legal requirements. Any person, age eighteen (18) or older, who is not legally married, incompetent, or related to each other to a prohibited degree (VA Code Section 20-45.1), may obtain a marriage license.
Note: Incompetency is a legal determination and no medical evidence is required.
Details, Fees & Certified Copies
- Couples must complete the marriage license application online.
- The cost of a marriage license is $30 cash only.
- The license is only valid 60 days from the date of issuance
- Is only valid for ceremonies performed in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Is only valid when performed by a marriage officiant authorized by a Circuit Court in Virginia.
- Circuit Court Deputy Clerks do not perform marriage ceremonies. See Marriage Commissioner list below if Officiant services are needed.
- Regardless of one's country or city of residence, a marriage license can be obtained through any Circuit Court.
- Certified copies of a marriage license are $2.50 and may be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office after the ceremony has been performed and the license has been returned to the Clerk's Office.
- Requests can be made in person. Payment is cash or check only. Or
- Submit requests in writing along with a check or money order made payable to Clerk of Circuit Court and a self-addressed return envelope. Personal checks need the name, address, and phone number of the account holder. All requests must state both spouses' names prior to the marriage along with the year the marriage took place.
Mail requests to:
Chesapeake Circuit Court
Attention Marriage License Division
307 Albemarle Drive, Suite 300A
Chesapeake, VA 23322
- Name changes pursuant to marriage are executed through Social Security and DMV, not Circuit Court.
What to Bring to the Appointment
- $30 cash only
- A valid picture ID. Can be one of the following:
- Military ID
- Driver's License
- Social Security card if unsure of SSN
Phones, smart watches, purses, and bags are not permitted in building.
Chesapeake has marriage commissioners who perform civil ceremonies. They are:
- Michael K. Brown
- Phyllis Hamric
- Mary Harkness
- Hugo A. Owens, Jr.
Phone: 757-724-9612 (best) or 757-410-0029
Performing One-Time Civil Marriage Ceremony
- Requirements and Process for "One-Time" Civil Ceremony Authorization (PDF)
includes "Petition to Perform One-Time Civil Marriage Ceremony"