In-Person Early Voting & Absentee By Mail Voting
You can now vote early at your local registrar's office beginning 45 days before Election Day and ending the Saturday before Election Day. Before visiting your local registrar's office, you may wish to check your registration status or call your registrar's office. You can contact the City of Chesapeake General Registrar's Office at 757-277-9797.
In-person early voting for Chesapeake voters will be available at the location, dates, and hours listed below:
- The General Registrar's Office located at 411 Cedar Road Chesapeake, VA 23322: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This office will also be open the last 2 Saturdays before Election Day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Locations dates and hours of satellite operations: Monday-Thursday 10am-6pm and Friday 10am-4pm beginning Monday, October 23, through Friday, November 3. These offices will also be open on Saturday, October 28 & November 4 from 9am-5pm.
• Central Library – 298 Cedar Road, Chesapeake, VA 23322
• Indian River Library – 2320 Old Greenbrier Road, Chesapeake, VA 23325
• Major Hillard Library – 824 Old George Washington Highway, N. Chesapeake, VA 23323
• Russell Memorial Library – 2808 Taylor Road, Chesapeake, VA 23321
Absentee Ballot Dropboxes will be available the same dates, times, and locations listed above for in-person, early voting. Dropboxes will also be available at all regular polling places on Election Day from 6 a.m. until 7 p.m.
To vote early in-person, take note of the following:
- Starting 45 days before Election Day, the Chesapeake Voter Registrar's Office will be open for early voting.
- You do not have to have a reason or fill out an application to vote early.
- When voting early, you must provide your name and address and show an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement. To view a complete list of acceptable IDs, please visit the Department of Elections Voting In-Person page.
- Accessible equipment and/or curbside voting is available upon request.
- Remember, the Saturday before Election Day is the last day to vote early.
Apply to Vote Absentee By Mail
Return the completed and signed form to your local registrar's office by mail, fax, or scanned attachment to an email. Contact information for your local general registrar's office is available using the online lookup tool.
After the registrar processes your application, you will receive your ballot in the mail.
Please note: Ballots can be mailed out to applicants starting 45 days prior to the relevant election date. Carefully review the instructions to complete and return your ballot to your local registrar by 7 p.m. on Election Day.
If you are returning your ballot by-mail, it must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received by your registrar by noon on the third day after the election.
Tips for Vote By Mail Voters
- Apply early! Voters can request an Absentee Ballot Application as early as 12 months before an election. Please allow enough time for your application to be processed and your ballot to be mailed to you. Your voted ballot must be received by your Electoral Board in time to be counted on Election Day.
- Please fill out the form completely. Omissions on your form can jeopardize your ability to vote.
- Online Absentee Ballot Lookup (Virginia State Board of Elections)
- Please do not attempt to vote by mail and vote in person unless it is Election Day and you have not received your vote by mail ballot. If you go to your polling place on Election Day and are marked as having already requested a vote-by-mail ballot:
- If you have your ballot with you, you will be asked to void your vote-by-mail ballot and you will be issued a new ballot to vote.
- If you do not have your ballot with you, you will be asked to vote a provisional ballot in which the Electoral Board will meet the day after the election, verify that an absentee ballot has not already been cast before deciding if your provisional ballot should be counted.
Absentee Ballot Applications
- Voter Registration Office
411 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322