To provide support to the court in the administration of equal justice and equal access, the preservation of court and land related records, and the delivery of quality service that is responsive to the needs of our citizens.
Most Requested Services
- Record all deeds and plats for property in Chesapeake
- Financing Statements
- All Criminal Cases - Felonies and Misdemeanor Appeals
- Civil Law - Cases $15,000 and over must be filed in Circuit Court, including change of name (adult and ward or child), garnishments, divorces, adoptions, delinquent tax suits, partition suits, suits to enforce mechanic's liens, church trustees, and authority to borrow money
- Probate - All wills, appoint and qualify guardians for adults after they are appointed by the Court
- Issue marriage licenses
- Issue concealed handgun permits
- Record DD-214 (Separation papers from the military)
- Appoint ministers to perform marriages
- Request divorce and name change documents.
Fines & Costs
Records & Research
The Clerk of Court has presented a general overview of procedural information. For a review of a specific statute in its entirety, please refer to the Code of Virginia.