- Why should I register my bicycle with the City of Chesapeake?
If your bicycle is ever stolen and then found, the police can trace its serial number and return the bike to you. A license for your bicycle costs only $1 and it lasts for as long as you own your bicycle.If your bicycle is ever stolen and then found, the police can trace its serial number and return the bike to you. A license for your bicycle costs only $1 and it lasts for as long as you own your bicycle.
- Do I have to have a bicycle license?
You may purchase a bicycle license on a voluntary basis; it is not mandatory to have a bicycle decal.
- Who should I call if my bicycle is missing?
The Chesapeake Police Department will assist you if your bicycle is stolen. Call their non-emergency line at 757-382-6161.
- Where can I register my bicycle?
Visit any of the Treasurer's Office locations or fill out the bicycle license form (PDF) and mail it to the Treasurer.
- Where can you register your bicycle?
- Register your bicycle with the City of Chesapeake Treasurer's office.
- Hold onto the handlebars at all times.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Always ride on the far right side of the road.
- Ride in single file and give an audible warning to any pedestrian you pass on a sidewalk.
- Have a light on the front of your bike when you are riding after dark and a red reflector on the back.
- Check to be sure your brakes are working well.
- Have a horn on your bike.
- Mark out or cover up the serial number on any bicycle.
- Ride side-by-side with another bicycle on a street or sidewalk.
- Ride on the sidewalks in a business district.
- Hold onto any moving vehicle while you are on your bicycle.
- Ride with a passenger on your handlebars.
For more bicycle safety information, visit the Traffic Safety page.