- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Deep Creek AIWW Bridge Replacement (USACOE)
Visit the City webpage dedicated to the Deep Creek AIWW Bridge Replacement project.
This is a USACOE funded and administered project that will replace the federally-owned Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway Deep Creek Bridge, a two-lane split leaf bascule bridge, with a 5-lane drawbridge and improvements to the approaching roadways (view a concept drawing here).
As of August 2020, the USACOE is in the right-of-way acquisition and utility relocation phase. The City is coordinating with the USACOE and VDOT to reconcile FHWA and USACOE Federal requirements. The USACOE briefed City Council on June 23, 2020, to provide updated status, budget and schedule information. The City and the USACOE are discussing how to address funding shortfalls.
- Project Start: Early 2022
- Projected Completion: April 2025
- Funds Appropriated: $48.46 million
- Draft rendering of replacement Deep Creek Bridge
- June 14, 2016 – The Commonwealth Transportation Board has approved the 2017-2022 Six-Year Improvement Program which include $20 million towards the replacement of the bridge. Read more in VDOT's Press Release
- May 12, 2016 – Press Release from U.S. Senators Mark Warner and Tim Kaine announcing passage of legislation that includes funding for the Deep Creek Bridge replacement
- February 10, 2016 – Press Release Announcing Federal Funding