- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
2020 Fall Adult Softball
TEAM REGISTRATION PROCEDURE & LEAGUE INFORMATION
- To register by mail: Complete the Adult Team Registration Form (print, then fill out) or Adult Team Registration Form 2 (fill out online, then print) and enclose check or money order payable to the Chesapeake Treasurer for $390.00. Mail the completed form and check to:
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism
1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23320
- To register in person: Bring completed Adult Team Registration Form (print, then fill out) or Adult Team Registration Form 2 (fill out online, then print), along with a check or money order payable to the Chesapeake Treasurer for $390.00 to the athletic office located at 1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake, 23320. Office hours are Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends.
- Team registration deadline:
- Registration Deadline – Monday, July 13, 2020.
- Registration fee – $390.00. Make Check or Money Order payable to: CHESAPEAKE TREASURER.
- The registration fee must be submitted with the registration form.
- A late fee may be assessed for late registrations.
- Refunds must be requested in writing no later than 5 working days after the deadline date.
- Due to the limited number of teams that our fields will accommodate, team registrations will be handled in the following manner:
- Approximately 90 teams will be accepted.
- Teams who participated in the 2019 Fall Adult Softball leagues will be accepted on a first come first serve basis and will have priority over new teams through the July 13, 2020 deadline.
- Teams will be confirmed as registered by receiving a confirmation letter via mail/email.
- Team Practice Schedule:
- Teams may sign up for two 1-hour practice sessions. Rained out practices may be rescheduled if space is available.
- Practice dates and times beginning July 27, 2020 may be reserved by visiting or calling the Administrative Office after you receive your confirmation letter in the mail (the week of 8/13).
- Coaches' meeting:
- Tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, July 29, 2020
- Location and Time: River Crest Community Center at 7:00 pm
- ASA Rules, City Rules, schedules, scorebooks, and player contracts will be distributed. All coaches should attend.
- Schedules and Facilities:
- Season starts: Co-ed on August 14; all other leagues the week of August 17, 2020.
- Teams will play approximately 12-14 games. Doubleheaders will be played. First game will start at 6:30 pm. (Exception: Western Branch will start at 6:45 p.m.)
- Open Leagues will play on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Church leagues will play on Thursdays. Women's League will play on Wednesdays. Industrial League will play on Mondays. Coed leagues will play on Fridays (Mondays if needed). The play nights listed above could change, if the number of teams registering change.
- The following fields will be used: Greenbrier #1 & #2, Indian River High School Fields #1 & #2, Franklin Field and Western Branch Field #5.
- Division Winner – will receive a team award and individual awards
- Division Runner-up – will receive a team award
- Tournament Winner and Runner-up – will receive a team award
- Rule Highlights:
- Game Balls - Teams will provide their own balls during games. Men will always hit a 12" ball and women will always hit an 11" ball. A 12" cor 300 compression ASA approved softball will be used in all men's leagues. The coed men will use the 12" .52 cor 300 compression ASA approved softball and the coed women will use the 11" .52 cor 300 compression ASA approved softball. All balls must be OPTIC YELLOW in color. Each team must furnish the appropriate ball type at the start of the game. Each team is also responsible for replacing the balls their team hits out of play.
- Bats - All bats must be ASA approved. Age/gender specific bats will only be allowed in those leagues. For a complete list of approved bats, go to the ASA Softball website.
- Players cannot play on two Chesapeake adult softball teams during the same season (with the exception of 1 Coed team with any other classification.)
- Each player is required to have a four-inch number on their uniform.
- Team rosters are due 48 hours prior to first game. Teams failing to submit a team roster 48 hours prior to their first game will not be authorized to play until they have met the 48 hour requirement. Teams are limited to a total of 20 players.
- Players must be 16 years of age on or before the first game of the season. Players under age 18 must have parental consent with age and parent's signature entered on the player roster form.